Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter recommendation

I have a 18x36 in-ground pool with a Hayward Preflex EC-65 that needs replacing. Any suggestions for a new filter? I'm pretty new to all this. Thanks.
    In ground vinyl 18x36, 26,700 gal. HP EC-65 DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter recommendation

I would use the same filter as long as you want a DE filter, and it worked good with your pool. Keep in mind that whatever filter you select must be able to handle the pump output in GPM ( gal. per min. ) Also after looking at your owners manual , Do you have a base that mounts the pump as well in one unit? If so you may want to use the same filter for ease of installation.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have something against the EC-65? I switched to an EC 75 from a sand filter a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

~ I'm happy enough with it I guess. On one site it looks like the EC75 is for a pool my size rather than the ec 65 that I have.

~ I'll have to look to see what the GPM is from the pump. The base does mount the pump. The pump seems to still be working fine so an even swap would be easier. Think this is something I could do by myself, I have at least basic mechanical skills.

Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would definitely aim for a larger filter. A larger filter will go longer between bumps/clean outs and be a little better at filtering.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I am fairly certain that the EC65 and the EC75 use the same casing (maybe just more /bigger filter fingers), so it should be a direct swap. As I recall installing the EC-75 was trivial, just pull it out of its box and sit it on the base, connect the plumbing and screw in the pressure gauge and add DE through the skimmer. Mine was bought off ebay as a combo set with a 1.5 HP Super Pump, and base plate, I know it is also commonly sold with the 1 HP Super Pump so there is some room for variation, I opted for the 1.5 because it was identical to the previous rusted out pump. The biggest issue you will likely have is your plumbing lines, are they all glued together and have to be cut out, or are there removable fittings to allow the pipes to be removed from the filter?

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

7. Back To Top    #7

They are removable lines, so that's good. The current pump is a 3/4 horse power. I should probably replace it too but seems to be doing okay, so far.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is certainly easy enough to change later, so if it were me I would try it first. With removable lines I suspect you could get the whole thing done in 30 minutes or so, a little teflon tape or other thread sealer screw in the pipes and go.

Ike