Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conversion and Mold

1. Back To Top    #1

Conversion and Mold

Found this site about 2 weeks ago and started conversion from Bacq to Chlorine on evening of 6/1/10, sorry no pictures into the 6th day of conversion and water is a beautiful blue, but cloudy. I brushed, ran the robo-kleen and found water mold and pink slime, eeeewww!
    My question is: Do I have to add anything else during the conversion to get rid of the pink and white slime? Losing about 5 - 6 FC overnight and staying between 2.5 - 3.5 CC throughout day and overnight. Should I start the overnight process?
    My numbers are FC=10
    CC=3.5
    TC=13.5
    TA=140
    CH=170
    CYA=20
    I am thinking about bringing it back up to 15 FC right now because of the presence of pink and white mold. Current temp is 90 degrees here in SC.

24" round vinyl AG, 16900 gals. with dual speed 2 hp Waterway/Proclean 200, cartridge, Robo-kleen.
    24' round AGP w/dual speed 2.5 hp Waterway filter/Proclean 200 filter cartridge, Robo-Kleen auto vacuum (broken). Pool Rover Jr. Leesville, SC.
    TFP is my HERO!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conversion and Mold

You have high CC and high FC loss. Sounds like you are not done shocking. Keep it up.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Having CYA above zero when doing a baquacil conversion will slow things down. You should bring your FC level up to about 25 to partially compensate for that.

All of the pink and white slime will be killed by the standard conversion process as long as you brush everywhere several times over the course of the conversion. I wouldn't count on the pool cleaner to get everywhere, so best to do at least some of the brushing by hand.

Your numbers are normal for someone about 2/3rds of the way through a baquacil conversion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

This morning FC loss 4 and CC still at 2.5 - 3 No signs of CYA though, maybe tested wrong yesterday? Kept FC at 25+ for the possible CYA 20 reading from day before and mold problem, so far okay, I guess. Water is blue, but still cloudy. Cleaned filter (lots of white stuff this time, not so much yellow) and brushed, hope to see end of conversion soon : )
    24' round AGP w/dual speed 2.5 hp Waterway filter/Proclean 200 filter cartridge, Robo-Kleen auto vacuum (broken). Pool Rover Jr. Leesville, SC.
    TFP is my HERO!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

What are you testing with?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Testing with TF-100 Kit.
    TFP is my HERO!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Does the solution go cloudy at all, in the view tube, or is it clear?
    Did you ever add CYA? Or granular chlorine of any kind?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

8. Back To Top    #8

The only thing I can think of is that I did add some shock, gran. chlor. and a puck to see if the mold would go away, and that might have raised the CYA. I have also been replacing the water loss from filter cleaning and that might have contributed to the CYA going away. Yes, it was a bit cloudy, but not bad. I could still see the dot in the tube.
    TFP is my HERO!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Alright then, if the granular was Dichlor that could explain it, couldn't it

Hang in there, I think you're doing fine.

10. Back To Top    #10

Day 15, after being away for the weekend, high temperatures with direct sun, and lots of rain during thunderstorms, our pool was completely clear and may I say, "Gorgeous". The FC is still losing about 2 overnight, when it isn't raining and CC is fluctuating between .5-1 Still hanging in there! I sure hope that "The End" is near. Thanks TFP!
    TFP is my HERO!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Have you taken the ladder out and cleaned it really well. Even in places you can't get to?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

No, we have steps and we had so many mold problems with it in the first year that we never put them back into the pool. I started the conversion without the steps. That is a good question though. I will have to thoroughly clean them of any Bacqua-goo before re-introducing them into the pool.
    TFP is my HERO!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds like it is... time for some POP

14. Back To Top    #14

POP?
    TFP is my HERO!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Pool Owner Patience
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

That is what I thought, hmph! Well at least I have not given up, although I had thought about it. After seeing the cloudiness disappear, I knew I was on the right path. Thanks again!
    TFP is my HERO!!!

17. Back To Top    #17

POP, POP, POP... I think coversion is complete, finally!
    This morning pool is clear, loss of 4.5 FC overnight, CC held @ 0.5 overnight! CC has been the same for 2 mornings now. Should I wait until FC loss is decreased overnight to start adding CYA?
    TFP is my HERO!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

You want to continue with FC at 25 and no CYA until the overnight FC loss is 1.0 or less.

19. Back To Top    #19

I did it, I did it, whoop whoop!!! Finally got CC to 0 - 0.5 and FC loss to 0 - 1 and started the CYA addition. Thank you TFP forum!
    TFP is my HERO!!!

20. Back To Top    #20

Congratulations!