Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with chlorine amounts

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with chlorine amounts

Hello,
    I am planning on shocking my pool today. It has been unused and uncovered for at least four years. I have all of the debris out of it. It actually doesn't look that bad right now compared to a week ago. Anyway, I added cya and got the level up. Now I want to start adding chlorine and would like to have someone double check my math. Can anyone take a look and let me know if I'm correct?

FC 0
    CC 0
    ph 7.2
    t/a 50
    ch 130
    cya 50

I think my target shock level is 20? So with 12.5% bleach I need to add 239 oz. Thank you for the help in advance.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with chlorine amounts

Yes, that all sounds correct. In round numbers you need almost 2 gallons of 12.5% to go from zero to 20.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. I just found out something else. The Pool Calc says my target shock level is 16 but the tfp chart recommends 20 for cya of 50. Any thoughts on that?
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Shocking the pool is a process, not a one-time event. When you add enough FC to get to 20, it will rapidly deplete that FC (perhaps in hours) and you will need to continually test and add more to keep it up at 20. The shock process can last a few days so be prepared for much, much more chlorine than your initial dose.

To understand this better, read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. I actually have lots of chlorine, I was just wondering if I should target 16 or 20 or does it not really matter?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's not overly critical but i certainly would suggest 20
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by plucky71
    Thank you. I just found out something else. The Pool Calc says my target shock level is 16 but the tfp chart recommends 20 for cya of 50. Any thoughts on that?
    There's a little difference in the recommended shock level between the pool calc and the FC/CYA chart at higher CYA levels. Either is ok to use and will get the job done. The Charts suggestion will get it done a little faster at the expense of a little more bleach.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all for your help. I added 2 gallons 12.5 and after 45 minutes my FC is at 28. I vacuumed during that time so now I'm going to start brushing. So far so good. I'm a little nervous as a first timer.