Help with chlorine amounts

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Hello,
I am planning on shocking my pool today. It has been unused and uncovered for at least four years. I have all of the debris out of it. It actually doesn't look that bad right now compared to a week ago. Anyway, I added cya and got the level up. Now I want to start adding chlorine and would like to have someone double check my math. Can anyone take a look and let me know if I'm correct?

FC 0
CC 0
ph 7.2
t/a 50
ch 130
cya 50

I think my target shock level is 20? So with 12.5% bleach I need to add 239 oz. Thank you for the help in advance.

Shocking the pool is a process, not a one-time event. When you add enough FC to get to 20, it will rapidly deplete that FC (perhaps in hours) and you will need to continually test and add more to keep it up at 20. The shock process can last a few days so be prepared for much, much more chlorine than your initial dose.

To understand this better, read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.

plucky71 said:
Thank you. I just found out something else. The Pool Calc says my target shock level is 16 but the tfp chart recommends 20 for cya of 50. Any thoughts on that?
There's a little difference in the recommended shock level between the pool calc and the FC/CYA chart at higher CYA levels. Either is ok to use and will get the job done. The Charts suggestion will get it done a little faster at the expense of a little more bleach.

Thank you all for your help. I added 2 gallons 12.5 and after 45 minutes my FC is at 28. I vacuumed during that time so now I'm going to start brushing. So far so good. I'm a little nervous as a first timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.