Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to find calcium chloride?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to find calcium chloride?

I know this has got to be posted on here, but I searched and couldn't find it. I'm trying to find calcium chloride other than in the "pool products" area of Home Depot. It costs about $13 for 5 lbs there I remember reading something about special ordering at Ace hardware, but we have no Ace! Ice melter in Guam is a little hard to come by Anyone got a suggestion where I can find this stuff sold in bulk? My fill water is about 100 CH, so when I backwash the filter and top the pool back up, my numbers take a dive, and I would like to avoid the expensive "pool product" calcium chloride. Thanks
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to find calcium chloride?

Calcium chloride is often sold as an ice melter. In a warm climate it won't be very easy to find anywhere other than pool stores or pool departments of big box stores. You might be able to find it at a concrete supply yard, as it is also used to accelerate concrete curing when it is cold out. But again, that is mostly a cold climate thing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I belive Walmart has a program that will alow you to order on line for pickup in store...

Otherwise I believe cal-hypo shock is priced pretty close to bleach and will bring your CH up (I just bought 20 lbs for that reason).
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I'll try the concrete areas of HD. I've been looking for cal-hypo, but no luck at HD. Btw, no wally world here. We have one pool store, but since they're the only one, stuff is EXPENSIVE! I guess I need to pony up the cash so I can get CH in check
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html