Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Glad to have found this forum

1. Back To Top    #1
    Nashville, TN

Glad to have found this forum

I just joined today. I've been convinced for some time now that most of the stuff the pool store wants to sell me is snake oil. The AquaSmart is a bust so we're switching to the BBB system. Of course, the pool store said that household bleach would ruin the pool. They sold us a Hornet pool robot (wife had to have it). It went half way across the (not very dirty) pool and stopped. Cleaned it's filter, it went half way across again. Cleaned filter again, went half way across. It then went back to the store.

We are budget pool owners. We got the 24' pool on CL for free last spring. It was only two years old. It came with a sand filter. I bought a used canister instead. We bought a new liner, installed the pool ourselves and built a deck around it connecting it to the house. I found some wedding cake style steps on CL advertised for $50. When I got there, they had a big crack in the corner of one of the steps. I told him I was going to pass and he gave them to us. I simple fix with some fiberglass on the inside and they looked and functioned like new again. This year I replaced the filter element and bought a new pump. The AquaSmart is not working for some reason so I've been chlorinating with tablets. The water is crystal clear, TC is always good and TA and PH are on the low side of OK. Bringing them up now. The CYA has always been low. I added 5 lbs last week and it didn't seem to make much difference, but I'm using strips. I need to order one of the recommended test kits. I take a water sample into the pool store (Watsons) but they use the same test strips I use so they never tell me anything I don't already know.

Last fall we let the pool get away from us. The leaves started falling and the pool turned green/brown with algae. I think I was having AquaSmart issues at the same time. I cleaned out debris, poured in a gallon of liquid chlorine and an algaecide. That turned the water cloudy but killed all the algae. We then covered the pool for the winter. When we opened it, the water was clear and the dead algae had floated to bottom. I vacuumed it all to waste, shocked, adjusted TA and PH, added a few 3" tabs and the water was crystal clear within a few days.

Anyway...That's my story. Good to meet y'all.
    24' Above Ground
    1.5HP Waterway Pump
    Hayward 120sq/ft Canister Filter
    Soon to be abandoned AquaSmart system in favor of the BBB system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Glad to have found this forum

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Welcome and we are glad to have you
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962
    I just joined today. I've been convinced for some time now that most of the stuff the pool store wants to sell me is snake oil.
    Welcome! There's always room for an astute fellow such as yourself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!