Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Stabilizer to Vinyl Inground Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Stabilizer to Vinyl Inground Pool

Hi, I am getting ready to add stabilizer to my pool. I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I do though. Based on 20,000 gallons the directions say to add 4 lbs. after dissolving in bucket of hot water. Broadcast over surface of pool. Okay here are the questions......Is this the proper way to add? It is granular. Will it hurt the liner? How long do I wait to add chlorine after stabilizer? How long to keep filter running after adding stabilizer? Okay I think that's about it. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Patricia

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Adding Stabilizer to Vinyl Inground Pool

Most of us like to add CYA by putting it in a sock and hanging it in front of a return. CYA is very slow to dissolve and can take up to a week to do so. Even trying to predissolve it won't do much for you. You don't want it sitting on your liner on the bottom of the pool so I would think that the sock method is the best way to go for you.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

Re: Adding Stabilizer to Vinyl Inground Pool

After you add CYA, you do not have to wait to add chlorine.

If you predissolve and broadcast, I'd keep the pump going 24/7 for a day or two, and brush a few times a day to keep any granules off the bottom. If you use the sock method, just run the pump as normal and it will eventually dissolve.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page