cloudy pool

May 24, 2007
SOUTHREN VIRGINIA
our pool has been so beautiful this season until yesterday after we added algeside while shocking the pool ,this is the same algeside we always use and same shock ,we have had alot of sunlight and the chlor isnt holding well,so far we havent done any testing but plan on shocking one more time today any suggestions would be a big help,as i said this all happend after we added the shock and algeside.

The trick to staying on top of your water starts with frequent testing. You'll need to get a full set of test numbers to see where your at. In those numbers be sure to include your CYA (stabilizer) levels.

If your chlorine is getting used up quickly you may be on the verge of an algae bloom or your CYA levels may be low. There could be other possibilities for cloudy water but it's probably better to wait until you post that full set of test results. Right now...check your pool chlorine often and ensure that your keeping chlorine in there.

What type of algaecide did you use? what was the active ingredient?

What type of shock do you use?

How long have you had the pool?

thanks,
dan

A full set of test numbers would help us be able to tell what is happening, without that it is just random guesses.

My random guess is that your CYA level has gotten quite high and the chlorine is no longer being effective so you are starting to get algae, but without more information I can't really say.

cloudy water

okay i have just got home and here are the test results
fc 2
tc 2
ph 7.6
alk 110
cya 50
the water isnt terrible but some haze can be seen i use calcium hypochlorite shock and quat algeaside and nothing else but BBB ..we have had the pool 5 years now but used baciual until this season ,opened may 1 and havent had not one problem sense switching to chol and bbb i also checked my borates and was good there ..

Your FC level is probably a bit low given your CYA level. If you have 50 ppm borates or a SWG, FC of 2 might be alright, but otherwise you should be at least 3 or 4 and preferably 5 or 6.

Cal-hypo can sometimes cause some calcium cloudiness. Lowering the PH slightly or waiting a few days usually clears that up, though how likely it is to cause cloudiness and how easy it is to clear both depend on your TA and CH levels, which you din't list.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.