high bather load

May 24, 2010
CT.
Water looks great with good chemistry. I am expecting a large load of bathers 10-15 HS kids later this week. Should I Bump FC up prior to the event? Currently keeping it at 5 based on my cya level of 60.

any other suggestions?

5 is your minimum. This means that at 4.9 essentially, you are unprotected. For a CYA of 60, your FC target should be 7 for day to day operations. For a high bather load, I would bring it to about 8 or 8.5, one hour prior to the party.

my bad CYA is 50!!!

Al I do know is that I am going thru lots of CL.. Dropping to around 2.5-3 each check then adding to bump up!

I was questioning in an earlier post on cost... Might be cheaper for me to do Cal Hypo.. My CH is 220

60.00 for a 25lb 48%

Most of the time the best available price on cal-hypo is more than the best available price on bleach, for the same amount of chlorine added. But sometimes there is a big sale on cal-hypo, or you can't find a good price on bleach, and it goes the other way. That isn't an especially good price for cal-hypo, so I suspect that bleach is less expensive for you, at least if you hunt around for a good price. 25 lbs of 48% is equal to about 16 large (182 oz) jugs of 6% bleach, at $60 gives a break even price of $3.75 per jug of bleach. There are several people on the forum who are finding bleach for around $2.20 for a 182 oz of 6%.

With CYA at 50, I would expect you to lose about half of your FC each sunny day. That will vary somewhat from pool to pool, but something in that area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.