Pump Pressure Issues - Fiber Clear Questions

vg3tv said:
OK, did a thorough power wash of all the fins.
Now the question is do I go back to DE or try the Fiber Clear again?
The pool is not swampy at this point but its very cloudy.
I'm thinking of trying the Fiber Clear again but I'm scared because I will not be able to babysit the pump during business hours!!!

Do you guy/gals think this was Fiber Clear doing its job too efficiently with a very swampy pool?

Lou ...

I was advised, and have seen instructions to thoroughly clean the grids which translates, to me, to soak the grids when switching between cellulose and DE, going either way. Soaking in dishwasher detergent is the cheaper alternative to Pool Store grid cleaners and works just as well, if not better.

I'm not going to advise you on whether to use the Fiber Clear or not, sorry. The main reason I switched is because I backwash to my woods and have always had to backwash frequently due to our EXTREME environment, type and amounts of our fine debris. Pool grade DE contains a lot of silica. Not really healthy to breathe. I was throwing way too much of it into our already dusty/windy environment. The most excellent filter ability of cellulose is just a secondary advantage. It really does filter down finer than DE as evidenced by much clearer water in my pool, especially when observed at night with pool light on.

Even using the Slime Bags to filter some of the DE I still have to wash out the DE, captured by the Slime Bag, into my environment. My only option, if I want to use DE, it to install a DE separator, but I would still have to wash out the filter bag. I'm not on sewer; only an old septic tank. I'm not going to throw any more "stuff" into that than I have to.

If you can backwash to sewer line, not storm drain, and it is allowed where you live, AND you can tolerate less "fine filtering" you might want to go back to DE. Be advised, though, that more and more areas of the country are banning DE from going into sewers and yards, and some even are requiring cartridge only filters.

Cellulose breaks down safely, biodegradable, does not cause harmful dust, and is actually a good soil amendment.

gg=alice

vg3tv, What pump are you using; horse power and service factor?

As I mentioned in my post, when the filter is getting really "clogged" and/or my pump is running really fast and hard my filter pressure rises. The more it is clogging the higher the filter pressure goes and the faster the variable flow pump is running to keep up the same amount of flow all the time, the higher the filter pressure goes. If I cut off my main drain, for instance, when the pump is running full speed it is almost too much suction for just my one skimmer to provide enough water to the pump. With the main drain shut off, the pump, going full speed, is almost on the verge of sucking air into the skimmer. I don't know if this has anything to part of the issues you have but your pump could possibly be part of the issue if it is "over sized" for your system, which includes pipe diameters, numbers of returns (coming back into pool), suction (going from pool to pump), and distance of pipe runs to the pumping station. Pipes, connectors, and valves at the pumping station can contribute too, if those are not sized properly to the pump. That is besides if there are reasons that air is entering the system for some other reason.

gg=alice

STATUS UPDATE

first 4 hours after the "Cleaning Of The Fins" the pool filter ran great!!!
PSI was below 10 for the entire time. The water level in the pump strainer was maxed the entire time.
Added 8 scoops of Fiber Clear (it suggests 11). Added 6 lbs of shock.
After 4 hours the waterfall started to lose steam which is a tell tale sign that a backwashing is needed.
So I did a backwash, recharged the filter with the full 11 scoops of Fiber Clear (feeling really confident at this point!).
About 2 hours later the waterfall started to lose steam again AND the water lever in the strainer had dropped.
I did a really short backwash and fired up the filter again. Seems to be running fine but the cycles are getting shorter each time.

Again I'm going to attribute this to the efficiency of the Fiber Clear. My pool is still very cloudy with a lot of debris on the bottom and because the Fiber Clear filters down to .2microns I'm going to assume that it gets clogged very quickly. Unfortunately the backwashing is not as effective in removing the residue from the fins (as the picture shows).

The Fiber Clear website talks about algae bloom inside the filter. I'm wondering if that is what I was seeing when I opened the filter.
Liquid chlorine directly into the skimmer is supposed to cure this. I will try that next.

I will say that cleaning the Fiber Clear from the fins was a much easier process than DE. It dissolved very easily and did not gather into clumps along the driveway. It was so easy that I'm thinking I might just clean the filter every 2 days during the initial week of the season. I'm really dreading switching back to DE. I want to make this Fiber Clear work. I would love to run this process past someone at the company but there is a bug on the website that doesn't allow you to fill out the email form properly. (anyone have any contact info).

I will keep you guys and gals apprised of the process as I go forward.

Keep in mind that if you put in a full charge of Fiber clear after a backwash you may end up over charging the filter, which will lead to more frequent backwashing.

Did you see the demonstration video on the Fiber Clear site? They have a clear filter they have hooked up to a pump. When they shut off the pump all the Fiber Clear falls off the grids. I would love to see that filter hooked up to a real pool! I bet after it has filtered out some algae it will stick to the grids!

You are doing well, the Fiber Clear is doing its job. Once you get the water clear, Fiber Clear will make you very happy! Its just a pain to keep cleaning and backwashing the filter every few hours until the water clears.

Is cleaning and backwashing every few HOURS normal for the first week after the opening?
Have you actually cleaned the fins more than once during the first week?
Would I be going thru this much trouble if I had a solid pool cover that didn't allow the pool to become so swampy over the winter?

vg3tv said:
Is cleaning and backwashing every few HOURS normal for the first week after the opening?
Have you actually cleaned the fins more than once during the first week?
Would I be going thru this much trouble if I had a solid pool cover that didn't allow the pool to become so swampy over the winter?

I can't remember if you have large organic debris in the pool or not. Just in case, see below.

From my experience using the Fiber Clear, and knowing that it can be difficult to get it to backwash off of the grids or cartridges, YES, I think it could be possible that backwashing would be needed every few hours when filtering the dead algae out. One thing to consider, especially if water replacement is a big issue (which it becomes more and more due to our depleting our resources), is to run the backwash water back into the pool using a backwash Slime Bag. I have two, that i used with the submersible pumps when my filter and pump were out of the system. Be aware, though, that it takes a lot of water to clean them out for reuse, but not nearly as much water as needed for backwashing.

One thing you might want to consider is using DE only until you get the water clear and then switch back to Fiber Clear. You will probably get more time between backwashing that way.

BUT.... you have to do a very good cleaning between switching between DE and Fiber Clear, both ways, soaking the grids anytime you are going to do a switch.

When I've opened my pool, in the past, with a swamp, using DE, in my undersized filter/oversized pump, it was not unusual to have to backwash daily or more. Without turning on pump I first closed the bottom drain, if it was not closed. Then I blindly scooped out as much stuff from bottom as possible. It was mostly dead and decaying leaves from winter and fall (no cover) with a few other objects and dead "critters". Leaving bottom drain closed I then heavily chlorinated (I used granular because that was all that I used at the time and pool is plaster; not advised with vinyl) and began running the pump 24/7 till the water cleared enough to see the bottom. Then I used a trash pump to slowly vac most of the debris out of bottom going to waste down the hill. The trash pump basket needed cleaning as much as every five minutes.

If I was willing to take more time I didn't use the trash pump till the very last step, rather slowly scooped the remainder of the stuff until it became too stirred up to see. Then let the water filter more, skimmer only, until I could see well enough to do more scooping. And so on and so on.

I'm seriously considering options for covers for the winters but still keeping the pool simi "open". Many people don't close here in winter due to our usually mild winters. Algae can grow here most of the winter, especially if the winters are milder than usual. I've never had a cover so keeping the leaves out of the pool starting in Nov through January is an almost full time job. Semi open in that I would still run the pump, keep water balanced, and then run the Aquabot under the cover to keep the dirt and dust cleaned up. I ran the Aquabot under ice this winter.

Soooooooo..... I was thinking about having a hatch made into the cover, with industrial Velcro closure, at the area of the skimmer and just big enough for the Aquabot to be put in and pulled out. Also, use that "hatch" to test water and make small bleach additions. Actually an additional small "hatch" near a return would be better for adding chlorine.

There were two months when I had the pump and filter out of system so I used two submersible pumps to keep the water circulating. That may be an option for you guys up where you can count on ice covering pool part or all of the season.

But, I think the most important rule is, if using a mesh cover, to close as late as possible and open very early to keep the algae from getting a good hold. If opening early and one still has fear of freezing the submersible pumps could do some circulating while you are getting the water balanced prior to the full opening.

gg=alice

When my pool was green, yes I had to hose off and recharge the grids several times until the pool cleared. Once the pool was clear, I cleaned and recharged the grids again and they have only had a 2 pt pressure rise over the last 5 weeks. I don't have a backwash setting on my filter, just a bump knob, and that doesn't do much. Sometimes I bump it just to mix things up, but if the media is dirty and I bump it the pressure only drops a little and usually is right back were it was within an hour.

We saw Fiber Clear at a pool supply store and decided this year to open our pool with it instead of DE....We shouldn't have. As soon as we started to use it, our psi went up to between 20 and 25 instead of its normal 10-15. Not only that, but we were wondering why we kept having so much silt at the bottom of our pool. We thought we had problems with our filter which has brand new cartridges in it-replaced last year. We eventually bought a new sand/silt bag for our Polaris and thought that would pick it up but it kept coming back. After constantly backwashing and constantly having to manually vacuum the pool, we decided that Fiber Clear was the PROBLEM! We re-cleaned our filter this past and went back to DE. Our pool is now running like a dream and is crystal clear....no silt at the bottom.....pressure back to normal and we haven't had to backwash so much. We wasted so much money on Fiber Clear and I feel so strongly about it that I had to post about it. Obviously our filter, which was new in 2001, is not compatible with Fiber Clear. I would encourage other pool owners to stick with whatever chemicals have served you well in the past. This Fiber Clear does seem like a good deal-half the price of DE-but has caused us nothing but problems and we only had to buy 4 bags of the stuff to realize. Thanks for listening.....

I haven't posted here in a bit but I wanted to give you guys an update.

The pool is tremendous right now!!! Turns out all I really needed was a little patience.
Every year during the first week my pool is a very high maintenance project. I have a lot of trees surrounding the pool which flower early in the summer and the petals fall into the pool area making skimming the surface a constant process. Because of this I open the pool at the end of May. The weather is a little warmer and the trees have already flowered but now the water is green with algae. This leads to a lot of backwashing the first week and constant babysitting of the pressure gauge. Throwing Fiber Clear into the mix really threw me for a loop. I wasn't prepared for how efficient it is compared to DE. I really did have to backwash at least once a day causing me to spend a lot of money on Fiber Clear.
But I can now tell you that the pool water is absolutely sparkling. I read another post on TFP where the owner said that there are practically no particles floating in front of his pool light at night. This is absolutely true with the Fiber Clear!!! I want to have a nighttime pool party just so I can show my friends how clear the water is when the pool lights are on!!
Yes the filter pressure is a little higher (around 17-18 psi as opposed 12-14 psi with DE) but since the water has become clear I have only done one backwash and I only anticipate doing a BW once a month or so.

If you can get past the initial cost it will pay for itself before the summer is over. Add that to the environmental benefits and the fact that you are not breathing DE anymore and Fiber Clear is a no-brainer IMO. Plus your pool water will be something to show off to your friends!!!

Anyone know the best place on the web to buy Polaris parts?

Thanks for all the insight!!!

Lou ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am glad I found this site I am having alot of the same issues with this fiber clear stuff in my pool. I had years of trouble free maintenance with my pool while using the DE. My problems didn't start until the guys at leslies told me about this new stuff called fiber clear, so I said what the heck so I tried it. but to make a long story short it made my pressure increase alot faster, seemed like it was alot harder on my pump as well as my filter grids seemed like every couple weeks I was back washing my pump which only helped for a few days then the pressure would increase once again which in turn would make my pool cleaner run slower and slower, and I also noticed that my filter grids were breaking and at forty $30 something a pop for those i decided something had to be done I battled with this the whole summer and into this summer. so I tore everything apart replaced the filter grids that were broken cleaned all the fiber clear out of the system and went back to DE. Now evrything is operating much smoother, my pressure is only at 10 psi, the pump seems to be running smoother and the circulation seems to be twice as good! seems to be back where it was before I used the fiber clear. The water is still crystal clear and beutifull blue color. I even asked a guy at the pool supply store and even he said he believed the DE is much better and he is getting alot of complaints from other customers about this fiber clear doing the same thing that it was doing to me. So I guess I kind of fell for the ol extra filtering better filtering down to 2 microns and all Crud, it didn't work and cost me more money and time. Now that I am back to DE, believe I can't tell the difference that 2 microns made whatsoever. I really hope his helps some people out there all I know is that going back to DE was the best choice I made

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.