Vinyl liner,.. will bleach hurt it?

in4sit

Jun 5, 2010
Just a quick question, I seen some of you talking about running bleach in your pool at first...(when you open it) I have a underground pool with a vinyl liner,.. will bleach hurt it??.. Sorry if thats a dumb question,.. but I was looking at running something in the pool while i am waiting for my other pool stuff toget here and bleach sounds like a good idea, but don't want to do it if its going to hurt my liner. I haven't opened the pool for 2 years.. so this is going to be fun to see what I find when I take the cover off this year.

Any form of chlorine can damage the liner if it is added incorrectly. Full strength bleach poured directly on the liner can damage the liner if you do it often enough. But if you add the bleach properly, which means pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running, then no it won't cause any problems at all.

In4sit, In order to know how to answer that question we need to know a lot of stuff about your pool. Since you don't have it uncovered yet there's no way to know what or how much you're going to need.

Your best bet is to thouroughly read Pool School particularly defeating algae and then become familiar with the pool calculator. You're also going to need a good test kit. Links to all these are in my sig.

Keep in mind that chlorine is a consummable and therefore isn't a one time addition thing. You have to add sanitizer (chlorine) continuously. There are ways to automate the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.