Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spider gasket - I think

1. Back To Top    #1

Spider gasket - I think

Frustrating situation - inexperienced

I have a Hayward Sand Filter S-244T with a Hayward SP 711 Vari-flo valve. Since opening the pool, I am losing water when filtering. My system does not allow me to see if there is flow through the waste line when I'm filtering. Last week, I took off the top of the multi-port and inspected the spider gasket which looked ok to me. I replaced the top and have continued to lose water. The system seems stable when the filter is set to recirc.

Questions - Should I replace the spider gasket even though it looks ok? Could it be that I just need to lubricate the gasket to create a seal? Am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for guidance

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Spider gasket - I think

Is there water running out the waste line while you are filtering?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

It's hard to know. I don't have a clear section of the waste line. There is a small glass bottle attached to the base of the multi port valve near the waste line but I can't tell if there is water flowing through it. I guess I should remove that bottle when filtering to see if there is flow into it. (duh)

4. Back To Top    #4

Well - I checked and lubricated the spider gasket. The filter drain cap was a little looose and leaking a little bit. The system is filtering without losing water through the waste line. Hopefully, problem solved. Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

Sometimes that's all it takes! Hopefully it won't come back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit