Best Home Pool Water Tester

May 11, 2010
What is the most accurate and easy to use home pool water tester for a chlorine pool? I am familiar with the chemistry of the water after two years of owning my inground pool. I am ready to save myself trips to the pool shop and start doing this myself. What does everyone recommend for an open budget.

The best way to test your chlorine is the FAS-DPD test. This is a drop count test with no color matching and the ability to test very high levels of both free and combined chlorine with an accuracy of better than .2ppm.

It's available along with the standard Taylor tests for pH, TA, CH and CYA in the Taylor K2006, and the TF100 at TFTestkits.net, and as a standalone test in the Taylor K-1515-A

Strips are just too inaccurate/inconsistent for maintaining water chemistry. IMO, I think I speak for the majority here when I say strips are VASTLY inferior to a good drop based kit.

Either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 would be a great choice!

Most strips give you such a broad range of answers that we find them to be nearly useless. And, the way my strips were labeled led me to think my water was in acceptable ranges when it was not.

I just bought a TF100 kit a few weeks ago and like it, the Taylor K2006 and the TF100 are almost identical, they both use taylor chemicals. The K2006 has more professionally looking packaging and all chemicals in the same size bottles, the TF100 being from a small operation looks like it is packed in a cheap plastic tackle box, but contains varying sizes of the chemicals to meet real world needs (more of the chemicals you need to have more of, when you have a test that takes 3 drops a A and 20 drops of B, it makes more sense to have a bigger bottle of B)

Isaac-1 said:
looks like it is packed in a cheap plastic tackle box

Psst...it is a plain old Plano Tackle box...but we love it and it works well.

Dave the owner of TFtestkits.net and this website (TFP) is hands down one of the best consumer friendly operations you will deal with...period.

The TF100 provides a much better value for your money than the K2006 IMHO. Better yet, if you envision needing to shock your pool often, get the TF100XL.

It is money well spent.

I love the little tackle box the TF100 comes in... I can move the dividers to arrange the bottles in any order I want. I put them all in the same order as the instructions, but it would also make sense to have them in order of frequency of use. I even have managed to fit my SpeedStir into the box by removing the dividers between the CYA test bottles and the reagent.

samo615 said:
What is the most accurate and easy to use home pool water tester for a chlorine pool?
You.

I am familiar with the chemistry of the water after two years of owning my inground pool. I am ready to save myself trips to the pool shop and start doing this myself. What does everyone recommend for an open budget.
TF100XL. May as well get a speedstir while you've got the credit card out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
samo615 said:
What is the most accurate and easy to use home pool water tester for a chlorine pool?
You.

I am familiar with the chemistry of the water after two years of owning my inground pool. I am ready to save myself trips to the pool shop and start doing this myself. What does everyone recommend for an open budget.
TF100XL. May as well get a speedstir while you've got the credit card out.

Can't argue with that, Richard. Very well put!

For the price I paid for my TF-100XL, I should've gotten a Lifetime membership thrown in! :lol:
Just kidding Dave, great kit and great price! Believe me, when we get a little more (back) on our feet, I'm breaking the CC back out!

anonapersona said:
I love the little tackle box the TF100 comes in... I can move the dividers to arrange the bottles in any order I want. I put them all in the same order as the instructions, but it would also make sense to have them in order of frequency of use. I even have managed to fit my SpeedStir into the box by removing the dividers between the CYA test bottles and the reagent.

Ditto here on loving the tackle box. I find it easier to locate the reagents than in a deep box. I'm leaving my little blue "daily" pH/Cl test kit in a more handy spot, sitting inside the poly measure cup, used for collecting the water. That is in a shaded window sill, inside. The big kit only comes out weekly or so. I'm a "micro manager" of the pool so chlorine never goes low and I test pH at least 4 times a week. BUT, when I go over to my friend's house to test her water I have to take special care to remember to put it back in the kit. I have her test pH and Cl every two or three days using my old HTH kit and some fresh HTH reagent I picked up for her at Wally's.

BTW..... she and her DH are disabled and he has had several surgeries in past months. She's been so, so very busy with life she hasn't been able to spend much time reading Pool School. But today, she told me that she told one of his doctors about BBB and doctor was really interested and approving and is going to "check it out".

She listened in on a phone conversation I had with her pool guy and I think it peaked her interest to squeeze in a little time to read Pool School.

gg=alice

Alrighty then.. guess I'm sold on the TF-100 XL with speedstir. I will have to recommend it to a couple of friends and family that are new pool owners if it works out well. Could anyone PM me a discount code?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.