More SWG questions

Smurfe

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
I installed a Pool Pilot Dig-220 w/ SC60 this week after I had a new liner installed. Pool is 20x40 in ground. average depth 5.5 ft. I estimate volume around 35,000 gallons. I ran the pump for 24 hours after the pool was full for 24 hours. The installer came back and added salt and stabilizer and I ran the pump another 24 hours. I kicked on the SWG and the discharge from the returns is milky white in color. Every time the cell kicks on the discharge is white and clouds the deep end of the pool. The moment the cell kicks off the water is clear. Is this normal?

I tested the water this morning with a Pool Solutions Deluxe test kit and obtained the following readings. Hopefully I did every test correct.

FC = 5
CC = 2.5
TC = 7.5
pH = 7.6
Akl = 160
Cal = 90
CYA = 40
Temp is 82F per Unit Display
Salt = 2900 ppm

I am basically a pool chemistry novice. The Pool Pilot is set on Level 2 and the Cell is set at 50% Are there additional settings I need to look at? The directions for the Pool Pilot are not exactly "Novice Friendly" but I am starting to understand it better. I guess my biggest concern is the milky, cloudy water discharged when the cell is activated. Should I adjust some settings? Is my water way out of balance? Any info is truly appreciated.

Steve

Smurfe said:
I installed a Pool Pilot Dig-220 w/ SC60 this week after I had a new liner installed. Pool is 20x40 in ground. average depth 5.5 ft. I estimate volume around 35,000 gallons. I ran the pump for 24 hours after the pool was full for 24 hours. The installer came back and added salt and stabilizer and I ran the pump another 24 hours. I kicked on the SWG and the discharge from the returns is milky white in color. Every time the cell kicks on the discharge is white and clouds the deep end of the pool. The moment the cell kicks off the water is clear. Is this normal?

I tested the water this morning with a Pool Solutions Deluxe test kit and obtained the following readings. Hopefully I did every test correct.

FC = 5
CC = 2.5
TC = 7.5
pH = 7.6
Akl = 160
Cal = 90
CYA = 40
Temp is 82F per Unit Display
Salt = 2900 ppm

I am basically a pool chemistry novice. The Pool Pilot is set on Level 2 and the Cell is set at 50% Are there additional settings I need to look at? The directions for the Pool Pilot are not exactly "Novice Friendly" but I am starting to understand it better. I guess my biggest concern is the milky, cloudy water discharged when the cell is activated. Should I adjust some settings? Is my water way out of balance? Any info is truly appreciated.

Steve

Hi, Steve,

I wont be much help on the SWG. I do know they put out some tiny bubbles when generating and your comment that the water clears instantly indicates that may be what it is. Others with SWG backgrounds will offer better help.

Yours test numbers are where I can assist. The CC test jumps right out at me. I doubt it's correct. Review your test procedures. Normally, with clear water like you seem to have, CC's of .5 or less would be the typical reading.

2.5 is pretty much off the chart and would indicate an almost desperate need to shock. If that reading was correct, most likely your pool would be green, plenty of frogs and fish, and a probable hershey bar or two floating in there :lol: :lol:

Your Alk is a little on the high end but something I would consider fine tuning when time permits. 80-120 would be a little better. When you get time, check around on the forum on how to reduce alkalinity.....it's a little troublesome but fairly straightforward. Again, lower it when you have time.

Doublecheck the CC test...
welcome to the forum

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.