Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sight glass question

1. Back To Top    #1

Columbia, SC

Sight glass question

The only time I see water in my sight glass is when I backwash. Isn't the water supposed to be visible when the filter is operating in the regular mode. As a possibly related issue the PSI on my gauge isn't creeping up. Any info would be appreciated.
    20K gal, vinyl, 3/4 HP pump, Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, TX

Re: Sight glass question

I think the only time you should see water in the sight glass is when you backwash. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it wouldn't surprise me.

Some people on here have noted they don't see a gradual increase in pressure, it just happens quickly when it does rise. Or, you could also need a new gauge. If you haven't replaced it in a year or two, you could just get a new one. They're cheap, so if in doubt, replace it.

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar85

I think the only time you should see water in the sight glass is when you backwash. .
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

Water should only be visible in the sight glass when backwashing. If you see it in there any other time it either means the multiport valve is leaking or the backwash drain line isn't draining properly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit