Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which chlorine test to use daily in tf-100 kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Which chlorine test to use daily in tf-100 kit

I have been using the drop test with the powder everynight to check my Fc. After reading instructions it says you should do that test once a week and use the OTO one daily. After seeing how much of the powder I have and how much it cost im thinking I shouldnt use it as much or will be out fast. I have a hard time telling the colors apart on the yellow OTO test. I pretty much add the same amount of bleach a night so If I go over a little I should be ok. How do you all test everynight?
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Which chlorine test to use daily in tf-100 kit

I use the powder and drops. I don't really have a choice, as I am stuck with high CYA until water restrictions are lifted or I spring for reverse osmosis. I keep FC at about 15, where the color matching test is useless. I only test every 2 or 3 days right now. With things warming up, and actually using the pool, I may have to go daily.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston, TX

Well, my pool isn't up yet, but I do use the kit for testing my hot tub. Since that's sort of a different beast, I use the powder and drops every day. When we start using the pool, I plan on doing the OTO every day and the other probably every 3rd day, until I get a feel for what the pool needs.

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

4. Back To Top    #4

Cupertino, CA

What cheddar85 said is pretty common; as you get to know your pool, you can use the OTO test for a quick check and once or twice a week use FAS-DPD to really nail a number.

Some people have real trouble reading the OTO test and distinguishing the shades of yellow, and so use FAS-DPD all the time. It does cost more that way. One thing to try is to run both tests for a while, and try to "train" your eye to associate a certain number with a certain shade of yellow.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

The kit was designed so that you deal with problems and figure out the correct amount of chlorine to add day to day using the FAS-DPD kit. Then when things are going smoothly you use the OTO test just to make sure that nothing has gone wildly wrong. While using FAS-DPD weekly to see if you need to fine tune the amount of chlorine you need to add. Not everyone does it that way, many people use FAS-DPD every day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School