??? Teflon tape or paste

May 26, 2010
Howdy-

I recently installed a new filter and followed all instructions regarding teflon tape and 1 to 1-1/4 turn past hand tight. Tape is approx 6-7 wraps and approx. midway point on threads. Still dripping. This is at all threaded couplings and unions. I siliconed the unions at the o-ring as well.

What's better?? I picked up some NGas teflon tape as it seems thicker? Any ideas?

Thanks to all.

PS. I am signing up to be a TFP supporter tonite as this site saved me alot of $$$$ and is worth it!

I use it liberally, any excess will get caught by the filter or vacumed up in the pool. I've had good luck with Oatley's Great White Paste with teflon :goodjob:

The thicker (and pricier) silicon thread tape from Home Depot works nicely when a liberal application of many wraps of teflon tape is insufficient to stop dripping connectors.

Always use paste on larger schedule 40 and PVC. The threads are form molded and not cut with a die. Use tape on small metal fittings. Just a side note... Old school plumbers use to use rope in the threads of cast iron to keep them from leaking because the threads were so sloppy.

you know, i thought that only happened to me, all my thread in adapters leaked to. i asked a guy at lowes once where the teflon tape was, and he said for what, and i told him, and his reply was, YOU DONT NEED TAPE FOR PVC, ONLY METAL. and so it turns out not only do you need tape, it doesnt even work w/ tape. i threaded them in all the way and still leaked, so yeah paste is the only way to go, but nobdy tells you that. i just had to chime in on this thread cause i found it amusing, cause it happened to me to. and im so glad i found this site, for the abundance of information thats here

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.