Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ??? Teflon tape or paste

1. Back To Top    #1

??? Teflon tape or paste

I recently installed a new filter and followed all instructions regarding teflon tape and 1 to 1-1/4 turn past hand tight. Tape is approx 6-7 wraps and approx. midway point on threads. Still dripping. This is at all threaded couplings and unions. I siliconed the unions at the o-ring as well.

What's better?? I picked up some NGas teflon tape as it seems thicker? Any ideas?

Thanks to all.

PS. I am signing up to be a TFP supporter tonite as this site saved me alot of $$$$ and is worth it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: ??? Teflon tape or paste

1" or larger threaded couplings are best done with a teflon based thread compound/paste.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Now for the stupid question of the day! Is it best to apply halfway up thread to keep it from entering filter as it gets tight? Or does it matter?

4. Back To Top    #4

I use it liberally, any excess will get caught by the filter or vacumed up in the pool. I've had good luck with Oatley's Great White Paste with teflon
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

The thicker (and pricier) silicon thread tape from Home Depot works nicely when a liberal application of many wraps of teflon tape is insufficient to stop dripping connectors.
    17' x 25' x 48" Laguna "Portable" Pool (~12,000 Gallons)
    Intex 8111 SWG, Pump, and Filter
    3 Fafco AGP 4 x 20 Solar Bear Panels
    Dirt Devil "Pool Boy" (Pool Rover Jr.)
    BBB and a SWG make my pool care really E-Z

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Use the paste on the larger pipes and apply it so it evenly covers the entire length of the threads, wipe off the excess after you have tightened the joint.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Western North Carolina

Always use paste on larger schedule 40 and PVC. The threads are form molded and not cut with a die. Use tape on small metal fittings. Just a side note... Old school plumbers use to use rope in the threads of cast iron to keep them from leaking because the threads were so sloppy.
    24' X 52" AGP - On a concrete slab with 1" Dow blue foam board bottom.
    2Hp 2 speed Waterways pump/Cart. Filter.
    Hard Plumbed 20' away
    Deck 1/3 around pool
    Pool Rover Jr.
    DIY project

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

near the swamp

gator tape? I think that's what it's called. I also like to put on some RTV with Teflon tape.

9. Back To Top    #9

union beach n.j.

you know, i thought that only happened to me, all my thread in adapters leaked to. i asked a guy at lowes once where the teflon tape was, and he said for what, and i told him, and his reply was, YOU DONT NEED TAPE FOR PVC, ONLY METAL. and so it turns out not only do you need tape, it doesnt even work w/ tape. i threaded them in all the way and still leaked, so yeah paste is the only way to go, but nobdy tells you that. i just had to chime in on this thread cause i found it amusing, cause it happened to me to. and im so glad i found this site, for the abundance of information thats here
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround