Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Experimenting with Calcium Reducer

1. Back To Top    #1
    Richmond, TX

Experimenting with Calcium Reducer

Previously i had posted my struggles with high CH. I drained the pool 40% when CH went to 450 in March and now back at 440! Fill water at 130 ppm.

Yesterday I added the Lo-Chlor Calcium Reducer. This should bind and solidify the CH so it is filtered out. I had not seen any other posts trying this, so I will report back the results. Should know in 1-2 weeks.
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Experimenting with Calcium Reducer

Lo-Chlor is a sequestrant. It mostly helps prevent calcium scaling even when CH levels are high. There is a small chance it will cause a little calcium to be filtered out, but that isn't likely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Valrico, FL

I have successfully used water softener resins to reduce CH. If interested, I can post details.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

dschlic, I would be interested to hear about it. I've always wondered about that. Maybe start a new thread?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Any theories as to where the CH is coming from?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Any theories as to where the CH is coming from?
    That's an excellent point. CH should never build that quickly unless you are using Cal-Hypo as the chlorine source.

Eliminate the excessive source and the problem will go away.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School