Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: What Kind Of Bug Is This That Was In My Pool?

What Kind Of Bug Is This That Was In My Pool?

Hey folks,

I've got a bug living in my pool that I've never seen in my pool before or in nature. It was big...like 4 inches. Skinny. Had long legs...4 of them...otherwise I would have guessed it was a type of spider. And it had long antennas that were actually pinchers come off the front of it's head. Oh...and it was black.

Also, it was a really good swimmer and it was very curious about me...and I was out of the pool at the time, but I swear it saw me.

I've attached a police artist rendering of the bug. Any idea what this could be? This is in Massachusetts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

Re: What Kind Of Bug Is This That Was In My Pool?

Round these parts we call it a Water Bug - don't know what the real name is....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Really? Out here we have a bug that we call a water bug, but it's different, and it's a lot smaller. Like only 1". This sucker I've never seen before. Can't help but wonder how they spontaneously appear either.

**Edit** What we call water bugs are apparently referred to as waterboatmen. But yeah that's not what this thing was.

I'm assuming once the pool is officially open it'll be long dead anyway...I was just curious.
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

Oh we have the Boatmen and Backswimmers too - the thing that I think you are talking about I have seen in the river and ponds - they are huge and prehistoric looking. Ewwwww
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Did it look like this?

[attachment=0:1c6gxdi1]toe biter.jpg[/attachment:1c6gxdi1]

If so, you've got a giant water bug aka a toe-biter. Watch your toes..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN

Hmm, that's one advantage of life in the "frozen tundra" <---Our bugs can't get that big! EW!
    22 ft octagon, inground, 4 ft ave depth - figured @ 11,400 gallons, well water
    Steel walls with sand bottom and vinyl liner : under full sun
    Harmsco Betterfilter w/14 paper cartridges
    1 hp Hayward motor

Baqua to Chlorine in 2010.

~Wisconsin~

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Did it look like this?

[attachment=0:38kx7dzs]toe biter.jpg[/attachment:38kx7dzs]

Thank god no!

I'll have to take the cover off and see if I can't find him and take a picture.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia

It's called a water strider. Is that what it looks like?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

ok, EWE.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Oh man....I think that might be it! It was swimming under water rather than on top, but I think that's it! Nasty...I'm gonna be looking around when in the water.

I think I'd almost rather get those - we get some big honkin' spiders. I always have to check the water surface & the skimmers before we get in. HATE spiders.
    29,000 gal. vinyl in-ground mountain lake (freeform); Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers, Aquabot, Nature 2 (retired); LoopLoc winter cover, Pool installed March 2009... Added 2 - 4 X 20 Fafco Solar Bears with Goldline control and AutoPilot SWG in 2010

We get baby snakes in our skimmers, usually copperheads, although not always poisonous. I was laying on a float one day and a non-poisonous baby snake slid over my ankle just as pretty as you please. (If you head a horrendous scream about a yr ago on a beautiful sunny day, that was me.)

Not sure which is worse, water bugs, that nasty critter in the picture or baby snakes.

My husband just takes out his pocket knife and cuts the snake's head off.

We also get a frog now and then but they don't bother me too much.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

I thought water strider when I saw the picture, but I didn't think they got as big as 4". Also I didn't think they could go under water.

A quick check on wikipedia confirms a max size of 36mm (1.4") and they live on the surface of water.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

Looks like a water scorpion:

Check out http://www.edupic.net/bugs.htm#aquabug

[edit] Genus Ranatra [/edit]
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

That's it! 100%! Definitely! They're the right size too (almost 4 inches). Apparently there are multiple species with mine being of the type "Ranatra" (also called "Water Stick Insect"), and which I just looked up are present in Massachusetts.

These suckers eat Invertebrates like small fish and tadpoles. Crazy. Nasty! Actually...in person he was kind of cute. Very curious about me and the Dolphin robot I was putting in the pool at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty
    ...in person he was kind of cute. Very curious about me and the Dolphin robot I was putting in the pool at the time.
    He probably thought you (and the dolphin) looked like dinner.