Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the white flakes in our pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the white flakes in our pool?

I am seeing lots of small white flakes in our pool. Some are as large as 3/8" across. They are very thin and brittle. I thought they might be salt so I tasted one and it is not salt. The flakes seem to be forming on the plaster surface then coming loose and sitting on the bottom until vacuumed up. Any idea what these flakes are and if this is a problem?

Pool test results:
    FC 4.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 90
    CYA 60
    CH 300
    Salt 3300
    Temp 88
    Scott, Oklahoma
    10K gal above ground

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What are the white flakes in our pool?

Sounds like calcium scale that's falling off the plaster. Your numbers don't indicate scale formation, si it could be old scale.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Those are calcium flakes. I strongly suspect that they are coming off of the SWG, not the plaster. You should be able to stop them from accumulating by lowering your TA a little, to around 70, or by lowering your PH a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I can see a few places where similar flakes are attached to the plaster, but very few. The accumulation of flakes is in the vicinity of water returns, so the SWG problem makes sense. I will adjust and see what happens. Thanks, Scott
    Scott, Oklahoma
    10K gal above ground