Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Pool Wall Very Rough

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl Pool Wall Very Rough

Used our above ground pool for 1st time today. The vinyl pool liner wall feels like sandpaper. I used a brush but it did not have any results..still very rough. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Is there a fix? The liner is about 3 years old. Pool is 52 inch deep and 28 foot round.
    13,500 Gal., Swim Pro SW256T Sand Filter, 24' Dia. x 54" A.G., 1 1/2 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward CL-220 Inline Chlorinator, Tri-Chlor As Primary Sanitizer And Bleach To Shock

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vinyl Pool Wall Very Rough

Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the forum. It's a guess but the most likely cause is calcium scaling....the result of very high pH over a long period of time.

Posting current test results may give us an indicator but the water may have been balanced by now.

A possible cure may be to CAREFULLY lower pH to 7.0 or so and see if the deposits eventually dissolve.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Appreciate your welcome to forum....and thanks for you thoughts on this. I will give it a try. The pool is balanced. I've been running filter for 3 weeks...had quite a bit of green algae..I did not cover pool for winter. I will take my water in for testing and post back results. I did add quite a bit of chemicals after the first few testings...to get lined out. The water has been milky for 3 weeks now...pool shop said would clear up when we got in pool. We had quite a bit of use over weekend that is how I found rough walls..still cloudy. Thanks again!
    13,500 Gal., Swim Pro SW256T Sand Filter, 24' Dia. x 54" A.G., 1 1/2 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward CL-220 Inline Chlorinator, Tri-Chlor As Primary Sanitizer And Bleach To Shock

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Post up those test results....it may give us some further clues.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Tested pool this afternoon here are my results:
    Temp: 75
    Sat Index: -0.5
    TDS: 100
    CYA: Not tested
    Tot.Chlorine: 1.3
    Free Chlorine: 1.3
    pH: 6.8
    Tot.Alkalinity: 156
    Adj. Tot. Alk: 156
    Tot. Hardness:241

Pool water is clear about 1 foot down, and then is still very cloudy..cannot see bottom.