Should I raise CH on a new pool?

gobeavers88

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Missouri City, TX
My pool is 2 months old and I just took over from the pool guy. I tested yesterday and again today. Here are my numbers:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
TC: 4.5
pH: 7.5
T/A: 140
CH: 160
CYA: 60

Question: Should I try to raise the CH? I bought the stuff yesterday from the pool store to raise it, but I've been reading that maybe I shouldn't worry about it as my pool is so new, so I haven't dumped anything in yet.

Also, yesterday my CC was between 0.5 and 1 and today it's 0. Is that a testing error or does that make sense? I was planning on shocking to bring it down to 0. I am planning on doing an overnight chlorine test tonight.

The pool guy has been using the pucks in the auto chlorinator. I've read the concerns about CYA, but I do like the convenience of it and am hesitant to switch over completely to bleach.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great!
Cindy

I know at first you should not adjust CH but I'm not 100% certain on how long that rule applies...since the pool is 2 months old...

Yes, that's normal for the CC to fluctuate at times. As long as it's .5 or less you don't need to shock.

Your CYA is too high to continue using pucks. If you want to use pucks, you would need to replace some of the water to lower the CYA level.

Thanks! I was worried about the CYA being that high so soon. I did buy a bunch of bleach yesterday so I'll probably start using that and see how it goes. I'm also not sure about my reading of that test. The pool store had my CYA at 40 a couple weeks ago. Guess I just need to monitor it closely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.