Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about a Dry Well

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking about a Dry Well

I have a Hayworth DE filter. When I backwash I use the yard. I was thinking of putting in a dry well to backwash into; I know there are containers that you can purchase but I really don't want to go that route, they sound messy and more work than they are worth(but I could be wrong ). Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Thinking about a Dry Well

You need some kind of well casing or the walls will just collapse in and fill the well. There are many choices, from a barrel with lots of holes punched in the side to commercial well casing.

Another approach would be to use a large buried mass of gravel with landscaping cloth all around it to keep the soil out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

A co-worker of used 2 55-gallon barrels. He just left the bottom open, ran the pipe, and buried them.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden