How do I request an article for Pool school?

MomUv5

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2010
Memphis, TN area
This is going to be so basic to you experienced folks, but something I really need to know.

What are the steps to properly backwash my pool filter? I saw somebody else request that info, but they asked another question, too, and the backwashing question got missed.

The exact steps depends on your filter make and model. For mine :

1- Stop all pumping.

2- Position the selector valve on the top of the filter to "Backwash "

3- turn on pump

4- Watch the sight glass . It will start clear, then turn cloudy/dirty then finally clear again.

5- stop pump.

6- position selector valve on top of filter to " Rinse"

7- start pump

8- Rinse pump for 45 sec-1 min. after the pump is primed.

9- stop pump.

10- position selector valve to " filter".

11- start pump. Resume filtering pool as normal.

Please note it is never a good idea to change filter settings with the pump running. This can cause severe damage to the filter , piping, and pump systems. Hope this helps, please feel free to ask about anything you are not sure about.

On a side note , There are no questions that are silly, stupid, or basic. We all were in the very same spot as you are now. Every one here , without exeption, will do thier level best to provide accurate information, to help your pool and TFP look the very best it can. You are in good hands. :goodjob:

I have one question for you though. Why would anyone order a house full of nearly grown kids? :? ... on second thought someone has to brush the algea :whip:

coloeb said:
I have one question for you though. Why would anyone order a house full of nearly grown kids? :? ... on second thought someone has to brush the algea :whip:

There ya' go! Labor source! :whip:

(I pay the teenaged boys in food and video games. The girls are older than the boys. They get make-up and sunscreen. Lots of it.)

coloeb said:
The exact steps depends on your filter make and model. For mine :

6- position selector valve on top of filter to " Rinse"

7- start pump

8- Rinse pump for 45 sec-1 min. after the pump is primed.

Just one FYI/question - doesn't the Rinse operation require watching the site glass for clearing as well? Mine will start clear - get slightly cloudy/dirty, then clear again before I turn it off to resume the filtering. Very similar to the backwashing but on a much shorter/smaller scale - if I don't rinse long enough for that to happen, some of the cloudy stuff goes back into the pool from the return.

I always do 2 or more complete backwash/ rinse cycles to be sure I've cleaned the filter as well as possible without having to open it up. I also will, as long as the water is clear, add a 1 minute filter cycle after the second backwashing - I don't know the physics behind it, but it works :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.