Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Cheapest / least expensive place to buy chemicals? (online?)

Cheapest / least expensive place to buy chemicals? (online?)

Where do you find to be the cheapest / least expensive place to buy pool chemicals? I suppose I'll always have to go to the local store for jugs of chlorine or acid but what about all the other stuff like calcium, alkalinity, stabilizer, algecide, etc.? Can these things be purchased online and if so, are there any reputable online dealers where the savings are significant? What about places like Walmart or Home Depot? Just curious where people go to save money on chemicals.

Thanks in advance!

TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

Re: Cheapest / least expensive place to buy chemicals? (online?)

I get everything at Walmart and Lowes. CYA, bleach and muriatic acid is all I ever use. Alkalinity increaser is baking soda, and the best place to buy is Sam's Club. Shipping eats you up on online orders for most things.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Read Pool School and look here. http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/grocery.html

If you use the BBB method you can get everything locally for cheap. If you use dichlor or trichlor etc. you can save some money online. Leslies or Intheswim.com are my favorites.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

I use bleach primarily, and that comes from Walmart, the local grocery if on sale, or the pool store as liquid chlorine 10%. I get Muriatic Acid from Home Depot or Lowes. I sometimes use Cal-Hypo for my chlorine source if the CH is low, and that comes from Warehouse Pool Supply or Leslie's. I keep trichlor pucks on hand for vacations, from Leslie's. I get Polaris parts locally or online, depending on how much of an emergency it is. I get cartridge filters locally. I get test kit chemicals from TFP online. That is all I have needed in a year and a half of owning this pool.

In my pool book I have phone numbers of all the local pool stores and the other places listed above so I can call and compare prices and concentrations before I drive to pick up.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkly
    Read Pool School and look here. http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/grocery.html

If you use the BBB method you can get everything locally for cheap. If you use dichlor or trichlor etc. you can save some money online. Leslies or Intheswim.com are my favorites.
    Thanks, I was wondering what the BBB method was about. I will definitely be doing this. Thanks again!!!
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.