Census Poll on Intex Users

if anyone is interested here are some pics at night using the intex magnetic pool light......[attachment=2:2uov0cmr]62283.jpg[/attachment:2uov0cmr][attachment=1:2uov0cmr]47934.jpg[/attachment:2uov0cmr][attachment=0:2uov0cmr]60571.jpg[/attachment:2uov0cmr]

Attachments

• 62283.jpg
    62283.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 593
  • 47934.jpg
    47934.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 588
  • 60571.jpg
    60571.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 588
We bought a 16'x48" Ultra Frame last year and really like it. But, we left it up during the winter (in Texas) and my husband did not disconnect the hoses or winterize it. We lost water through the pump, we think, and are not sure if its going to work. The pool still has some water (about 18" and green), so we're pretty sure the water loss was through the pump, tubing area. The basket had fallen in after the pump was disconnected and apparently acted as a siphon for it. We need to figure out first if the pump is usable and what to do if it isn't. The only problems we had last summer with it were the stinging insects (bees, wasps, etc) and my son not wanting to get in because of them. So, if anyone has ideas for how to test the pump, etc. before we add water, I'd appreciate the advice. My idea is to run it through a kiddie pool to see if it leaks. I also think we need to shock the water to clear it out, then vacuum the pool, and if needed drain it and start over. I think an Intex section would be nice. I would also get the biggest one you can afford and have room for. We don't swim much, but the 16' seem small to me. There are just 3 of us using it, but I would love to upgrade to the 24' ultra frame. I'd like to do some landscaping around it because fire ants are around it and I'd like a barrier around it.

I am new here just got the grandkids a 10 x 30 intex they are 9 and 6 and this is a great size for them now. I would have gotten them one before now if I had known how easy they are to set up. I hope this pool will last maybe 2 seasons I have upgraded the pump already. I will add the Chlorine Saltwater Generator because I have read that they work great on these pools. I would love to have a section on here just for Intex as I know I will need some help or input. The way I see it for the price if it only lasted one summer I will have gotten my $$ worth. When the grandkids are happy so is grandma.
Thanks
Linda

crek31 said:
kdoonan - congrats on your purchase and best wishes on getting all the prep work done. Last year I put a 10 x 30 on the grass and it was fine. This year, for a larger pool, I needed to remove the sod and level the ground. Although level, it was far from smooth. It is now quite uneven on the bottom of the pool even though we thought we had filled in with sand enough to smooth it out. Next year I'll buy a gorilla pad or something else to put under the pool. The problem caused by the uneven floor is that vacuuming is harder. Also just doesn't feel great under foot.

Note, however, I'm not sure if the gorilla pad is reusable from year to year.

Crek31. Thanks for the tip. I'm reading up on pool pads now and I think I'm going to go with Liner Shield. I read a few other positive posts about it and you don't have to tape it together. I was going to start digging today but it rained all day. I was out doing yard work yesterday and realized just how sandy our yard is, which has me a little nervous. I've got a lot of digging ahead of me! Our yard is very uneven and I promised my husband this would be "my" project. I guess my honey-do list has been too long lately. :wink:

mcoonan said:
kdoonan said:
I just ordered an Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48". It should arrive next week. I'll start digging the ground this weekend. I would love an Intex only forum. I had to dig through so many posts to learn about the pool. I'm so nervous about setting this pool up. Any help from more experienced veterans would be fantastic!

I posted this in another area but I think that you might like it.
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.

Thanks so much! I read this elsewhere and thought it was fantastic. I do have a question for you. I was thinking of ordering Liner Shield of styrofoam. How much does styrofoam cost? I've also got a really unlevel yard. I'm probably going to have to dig 24 inches out on one side. I think I might add an extra foot on that side and have my husband put up a small retaining wall to keep the dirt back.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL
PS here are some pics of my build last year,
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss119/mcoonan/Pool/
I will be updating the pics this weekend as I now have installed a skimmer and some more plumbing.

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!
:cheers:

kdoonan said:
crek31 said:
kdoonan - congrats on your purchase and best wishes on getting all the prep work done. Last year I put a 10 x 30 on the grass and it was fine. This year, for a larger pool, I needed to remove the sod and level the ground. Although level, it was far from smooth. It is now quite uneven on the bottom of the pool even though we thought we had filled in with sand enough to smooth it out. Next year I'll buy a gorilla pad or something else to put under the pool. The problem caused by the uneven floor is that vacuuming is harder. Also just doesn't feel great under foot.

Note, however, I'm not sure if the gorilla pad is reusable from year to year.

Crek31. Thanks for the tip. I'm reading up on pool pads now and I think I'm going to go with Liner Shield. I read a few other positive posts about it and you don't have to tape it together. I was going to start digging today but it rained all day. I was out doing yard work yesterday and realized just how sandy our yard is, which has me a little nervous. I've got a lot of digging ahead of me! Our yard is very uneven and I promised my husband this would be "my" project. I guess my honey-do list has been too long lately. :wink:

i used the liner shield and while it is not very thick and does not make a good padding for the floor, it has so far kept the grass and weeds at bay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well what a great spot for my first post on TFP.
I've never had a pool but I've got an Intex 10x30 in the box sitting in my garage right now waiting on me to figure out how I want to set it up. I came here looking for advice as I want to do it right the first time and want to avoid all the pool horror stories I've heard from sooooo many people in my life. I'll be putting my plans in another post for comments and advice so those of you with suggestions please be on the lookout; I welcome any and all comments on my plans.

Oh, I'd LOVE an intex agp specific forum!

kdoonan wrote:
Thanks so much! I read this elsewhere and thought it was fantastic. I do have a question for you. I was thinking of ordering Liner Shield of styrofoam. How much does styrofoam cost? I've also got a really unlevel yard. I'm probably going to have to dig 24 inches out on one side. I think I might add an extra foot on that side and have my husband put up a small retaining wall to keep the dirt back.

I would make sure that the 16' is the largest you will ever want to go with. My area that I built cannot go any larger but that is because at the time 18' was the largest. Now that Intex has brought out the 20' and 24' I wish that I had the room to go with a larger pool. 2' may not seem much but when you get a few folks in the pool, the additional space is welcome.
Not sure of the styrofoam cost, stop by your local building supplyer (Home Depot, Menards....)
Mike
PS, anybody with a 24' Ultra can you measure the largest dimension across the pool as in leg to leg?

This is our second year with an Intex 18' Easy Set and we are still very pleased with it. I was fortunate enough to find this website when I opened the pool for the first time and have never had trouble with the water which is always clear and clean. Long live TFP!

The pool came out of storage and set up just like new and all the accessories are fine. I am still using the original 1500 filter that came with the pool and I leave it running 24/7. It ran for 4 months last summer and has been running for two weeks now. Replace or clean the filter often for the best pump life.

A forum for us pretenders would be great.

Thanks again to Jason and all the great people that moderate and participate here at TFP. I couldn't have done it without you.

Jim

slide came in today so i'll be starting the platform construction tomorrow. i will post pics when its done if anyone is interested in a slide for their intex. i will be using a playground slide mounted to a 4ft deck. above ground slides are way to expensive for me! :shock:

Hi there. I am new here, first post. I am in Maine and just put up a 15x48 Intex Metal Frame pool... for the second time. I learned that "Yeah, that looks level...." and level were two different things!! Put the recommended 1" of water in the pool per the instructions and before I could get 1" on one end of the pool I had about 6" on the other :shock:

So, drained the pool... carefully moved it and made a 16' straight edge and commenced to making a 16' section of level ground by removing more dirt than I thought one man, a woman and 11 year old girl could move in a day!! Thank God for my 14 year old daughter on crutches, otherwise we would not have had anyone to say "That doesn't look right..." - Not that it mattered, because when we got the pool full *I* said... "That doesn't look right!"

The pool looked to be 2-3" off according to the pretty squares on the side. I was devastated. This was yesterday. Well, last night I measured from the bottom to the surface of the water and the deepest was 41" and the shallowest was 39.75? so it was not as bad as I thought.

I didn't have any chemicals or a test kid, but I see that is required so we will have to buy one Thursday. In the mean time it looks good and seems to be holding up. No leaks, the pump and all functions well I think and we are just waiting for it to warm up.

Great site!

PS - How long does it take a 40" deep, 15 foor round pool with approx 4400 gallons of water to be warm enough to swim in?

Welcome! Seems to me like the biggest problem with getting the pool to warm up is the amount of heat lost at night. I use a solar cover every night to try to keep as much heat in as possible. Can stay on during the day, or come off. If you are going to leave it on during the day, be sure to remove it every couple of days during sunlight hours to let the pool "breathe."

jsf0656 said:
slide came in today so i'll be starting the platform construction tomorrow. i will post pics when its done if anyone is interested in a slide for their intex. i will be using a playground slide mounted to a 4ft deck. above ground slides are way to expensive for me! :shock:

well, it turned out GREAT! here are the pics:[attachment=2:29xsqoip]68312.jpg[/attachment:29xsqoip][attachment=1:29xsqoip]90450.jpg[/attachment:29xsqoip][attachment=0:29xsqoip]33156.jpg[/attachment:29xsqoip]

Attachments

• 68312.jpg
    68312.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 90450.jpg
    90450.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 478
  • 33156.jpg
    33156.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 445
[attachment=2:3enbak1d]82389.jpg[/attachment:3enbak1d][attachment=1:3enbak1d]73805.jpg[/attachment:3enbak1d]

pool-birthday party this weekend so i'll get the grandkids opinions then. but i bet THEY WILL LIKE IT! :party: :wave: :whoot:[attachment=0:3enbak1d]54568.jpg[/attachment:3enbak1d]

Attachments

• 82389.jpg
    82389.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 473
  • 73805.jpg
    73805.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 54568.jpg
    54568.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 437
i have to admit i had help from a friend of mine who actually did most of the deck. i am adding a mist system at the overhead point of the slide to keep it wet and slippery! having a pool/birthday party this weekend so all my grandkids (5) will be over. i will get some pics of them going down the slide! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.