solar cover a little too small. Expect any problems?

Apr 12, 2009
Last year the water was a little too cold to swim in for me except in the dead middle of the summer. I want to have a longer swim season this year. We've been looking at solar covers.

We just had our new vinyl liner installed and finished filling from our well yesterday (the ground water is a crisp 54 degrees). This am the chemistry was good - pH 7.5, FC 6, CC 0, TA 90, CH 110 put in enough stabilizer for CYA ~35 (will wait til next week to check). Overnight FC loss was 0 last night. The water is crystal clear. The water is still a crisp 70 degrees.

My main question is, I've been pricing solar covers. A 20x40 is about twice the price as a 18x36 that I found locally. I'm planning on cutting it into 3-4 pieces for easy on/off regardless of the size. Is it a big deal to buy the slightly undersized solar cover?

(in case someone asks - I had the well tested for iron last spring at a agricultural testing lab - there was none detectable)

The smaller cover will still be about 80% of your surface, so you'll get about 80% of the benefit. Mine isn't 100% covered either but it has still made a big difference in evaporation and water temp.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.