Taking over-borates and bugs questions

gobeavers88

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Missouri City, TX
I have a new pool (filled the first of April). I've told my pool guy that I want to take over after lurking on this forum for a couple of month. I tested today with TF-100. Our main issue at this time is the bugs-backswimmers-that we find every morning in our pool. I've tried BioGuard Back up (recommended somewhere on this forum) and the pool guy used Bug-Out. They seemed to kill the bugs for a day or so but they keep coming back and we are scooping out a dozen or two every day. Any ideas?

I am also interested in adding borates to the pool, but wondering when I should do it. Should I wait till I have better handle of the water chemistry or just jump in? Are there any special considerations since this is a new pool?

Thanks-this forum is awesome!

Test Results (5/30/2010) (first time tester-hope I did it right)
FC: 5.5
CC: 1
TC: 6.5
pH: 7.2
T/A: 200
CH: 140
CYA: 60
Temp: 86

My T/A seems high and pH a bit low. I am aerating now using the water feature. Any suggestions?

Cindy

Hi Cindy - welcome :)
A CC of 1 indicates you need to shock. The backswimmers tend to prefer improperly chlorinated pools - that could be why you are seeing so many of them.

After you complete the shock process, by then you should have a better understanding of your pool and you'll be able to tackle the borates issue, we can walk you thru it.

RE: the TA ....Can you do me a quick check - redo the TA test and wipe the tip of the R-009 dropper bottle in between drops with a damp cloth... see if this lowers your TA result a bit.

How have you chlorinated the pool up till this point?

Ok, I redid the TA test as suggested. I got a reading of 190. (Btw, silly question-the directions say to add drops till the water turns red. I am assuming that pink works so I stopped there-or do I need more drops to get a more reddish color?)

I also redid the chlorine- FC: 7 and CC: 0.5.

I am using an automatic chlorine system with the pucks. It is on right now as the filter is running. This may account for the change from a couple hours ago when I first tested. As far as shocking, my pool guy shocked it on Friday_but I'm not sure what he is using (it is a powder). That's one reason I want to take over-I want to know what is going in the pool and why.

As far as the backswimmers, they first showed up a couple of weeks ago after a heavy rain storm. The rain seemed to knock the chlorine to zero and the pool guy came and shocked. But we have been having the bug problem ever since.

I need to go get some chemicals and will get some bleach or liquid chlorine and other chemicals listed in pool school. Thanks for your help!

On the TA test, you add drops till the color starts changing, then you continue adding drops as long as the color continues changing. As soon as you add a drop that doesn't change the color any further, you stop and don't count the final drop that didn't change the color. The final color may be red or pink or yellow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.