Cloudy Water / DE / high pressure?

G

My water is somewhat cloudy (white, not green) and my pump pressure is higher than in previous years. It’s my 3rd year with the pool. Opened the pool about 2 weeks ago, but the pump had died over the winter. It took a couple of trips back to the pump guy to get it fixed – he thought he had it running but then the impeller died after only a couple of hours.

There was a semi-permeable cover on it for the winter. Although I tried to keep leaves and pine needles off it, a few got through over the winter and / or as we removed the cover, along with some fine brownish “gunk.” Water looked pretty clear although the pool walls had some green on them, and there was the brownish gunk on the bottom. Then it sat for 4 days while the pump was being fixed.

Last fall, I cleaned the grids with acid and rinsed them and put them back in the filter and covered it. Two weeks ago, I tightened the lid (it’s the one with all those bolts that take forever to get right – and have to be very careful not to over-tighten). I put in about 6 lbs of DE in through the skimmer and ran the pump just a few hours before the impeller died. I also shocked the pool at the time. I had mustard algae both of the previous years – just a little the first year, and more persistent last year. It was 2 more days until the pump was fixed after that. So now the pump has been running for the past week but not always 24 hours a day as I forgot to over-ride it a couple of times – I’m letting it shut down so I remember to check the pump pressure. I’m brushing at least daily.

Latest readings are: FC 20
CC 0
pH 7.4
CYA 35
T/A 60

I added some borax and baking soda to get the pH up (started around 7) and CYA was minimal so added stabilizer. I’ve kept adding bleach as needed for the past week.

I’m having 2 issues:
The water is cloudy. I don’t remember that as an issue previously (except of course when I converted from BAQ). I’ve vacuumed a few times as there’s been crud in the bottom (heavy pollen year).

The pump pressure on the filter is running higher than previously. I’ve bumped it down a few times. Last year, the pump pressure was around 12 and I’d bump it down when it hit 20. This year, it’s been at least 18 every day and going higher of course when vacuuming. I drained the filter briefly after vacuuming and got a lot of crud out, but not much today after I vacuumed, although I vacuumed a fair amount of fine brown crud. I’m not getting much DE out when I open the drain on the filter – wondering if it got caked on hard as a result of stopping and starting while getting pump running properly.

Should I take the whole thing apart, or just do a more thorough job of back-washing and use a spray wand in there?

Gauge seems to be working but it’s possible that it’s shot -- how would I know?

Thanks in advance!

Is the pressure going to zero when the pump is off.

Hard to know without being sure what was done to the pump. An impeller failure sounds a little odd as it just a hunk of plastic. Not really something that fails very often.

yes, pressure on gauge goes to 0 when off.

Pump repair guy lubed it the first time. 2nd time the impeller had a plastic piece that broke; new one has brass.

I have to correct that -- pressure doesn't go to 0 when pump is off, but it goes below 10.

Looks like I'll have to break down filter. It's a chore that I hate doing thanks to all those bolts and having to be so careful with them. But the pressure is running too high -- I have to check it a couple of times a day, and that's NOT a trouble-free pool.

I feel like I'm being held hostage by the stupid thing -- must be home to check pool and bump filter or else.

Shorelover said:
I have to correct that -- pressure doesn't go to 0 when pump is off, but it goes below 10.

Looks like I'll have to break down filter. It's a chore that I hate doing thanks to all those bolts and having to be so careful with them. But the pressure is running too high -- I have to check it a couple of times a day, and that's NOT a trouble-free pool.

I feel like I'm being held hostage by the stupid thing -- must be home to check pool and bump filter or else.

Well, your gauge is shot. Replace it and see how it operates.

I had some time to go to the pool store and fiddle with the pool this morning. I replaced the gauge, thanks for the tip. I also broke down the filter and cleaned it out. It didn't look very dirty and only took a moment, far less time than it took to unscrew all the bolts and then screw them back on! Then I refilled it with DE and it seems to be clearing the water finally. Not sure why the filter didn't filter very well upon opening, guess the DE didn't coat the fingers right, perhaps from all the fiddling around with getting the pump fixed twice and sitting for a week. Having a broken gauge didn't help matters. It's really hot here and it would be nice to use the thing -- and perhaps in a day or so, I'll be able to....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.