Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help please! I added 5 lbs of ascorbic acid throughout the day with little results on my stain. It is a large area and is possibly 3 years old. The ascorbic acid did streak the stain but it looks worse now. I have the pump running and will leave it overnight. Do I need to keep adding ascorbic acid and waiting for stain to lift before adding the sequestering agent? The main article says to add after the stain is lifted but apparently this stain is going to take awhile to lift. Also, pool supply company gave me Metal Free when I asked for a sequestering agent but when I looked up the ingredients, it says citric acid. I assume I need Jack's Purple Magic or something similar not the Metal Free they gave me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hello all! I'm new here...just wanted to thank you all for your helpful hints with using ascorbic acid in treating liner stains! We have a 27' pool and the liner was totally stained on the bottom from a filter malfunction last year. Went to the local Great Escape and asked Jerry (smartest pool dude ever!) and he suggested scraping the bottom with a vitamin C tablet and if it worked, get some ascorbic acid. Well, I went to the local vitamin store and got a 2lb bottle, poured it in, and watched in wonder as the stain simply started vanishing before my eyes! It was amazing! At first, it just worked on a few spots, but by the 3rd day of running the filter 24/7 (like you said), the entire stain was gone! GONE!! I am grateful that there are knowledgeable people like you guys to help other pool lovers with issues like mine! Thanks a million!

KM from Burbank, IL

Reactions: mike4088
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

As noted in the Pool School article Metals in the Water and Metal Stains, you need to add a metal sequestrant after you've added the ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) in order to bind to the metals to prevent them from re-staining when you raise the pH and add chlorine back to the pool. Unfortunately, you'll need to add some metal sequestrant periodically to replenish it as even the better HEDP sequestrants slowly break down from chlorine (though not nearly as quickly as some other metal sequestrants such as EDTA).

All my stains have lifted. I'm bringing FC level back up to normal 2 (SWG). The FC is constantly dropping due to AA still in pool. Should I continue to bring FC up to 2 until it holds? I'm checking every 30 min. Could this take days? Should filter be running 24/7 during this process?

JasonLion said:
spiazza, Yes, maybe but probably not, and yes.

Thanks Jason. It's a bit frustrating because I want the FC to stick, but it continues to drop (more gradually now) and I continue to bring FC back up. I'm cautious not to bring it higher than 2.

Would turning the SWG help at all at this stage? At least to maintain a FC level?

*The kids are itching to get back in the pool. We have a stretch of 80 degree days ahead of us.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.