Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to find basin wrench?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to find basin wrench?

I am putting water in my owner-built pool for the first time. However, the skimmers are still plugged with approx 1 9/32" square headed plugs and I can't get them out. I tried the basin wrench sold at ACE hardware, but it was too small and broke quickly. Home Depot did not have anything to help. Does anyone know a place to get a T-shaped basin wrench big enough to get these out? I've tried tracking down the plumber, but he's away for the Holiday weekend.
    40,000 gal glass tile with BBB chemistry
    Dual Pentair cartridge filters
    Scottsdale, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to find basin wrench?

Get a piece of PVC pipe and heat it up and force it over the plug. It will conform to the shape of the plug when it cools. You can the drill a couple holes and insert a screwdriver in and use for leverage. Costs next to nothing and problem solved!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Where to find basin wrench?

Sometimes a 12-point socket for a different sized six-point nut will fit on a square nut. I hope that makes sense. I don't know how else to explain it.

If you have any friends who have a lot of mechanic's tools, give 'em a call (If they aren't gone over the holiday weekend).
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!