CYA too HIGH?

May 12, 2009
Ok so I think I have my CYA to high, I hadn't checked since I topped it up when I opened the pool 1 month ago and today I got a reading of 70, my goal was 40? oops! I am afraid I have goofed up. Pool looks great haven't had any problems so far and we have swam several times. It has been rather rainey so we have been draining alot. Should I just adjust my Chlorine levels based on your CYA chart under pools school?

The idea is to make sure FC never goes below 5. FC will be lowest right before you add chlorine. Just at first I would start at the high end of the range. Then if the FC level the next day is too high, try a somewhat lower starting level. If the FC level the next day is too low, try a somewhat higher starting level. Look for something that gives you a little extra margin, in case there is a day that uses up a little more chlorine than you expect it to.

bearclaw20 said:
so should I shoot for say a medium number of 7? or shoot for 10?
5 is your minimum and 10 is your target :wink: I suggest you use 10 as your target for your evening dose of chlorine.
Don't allow your FC to go below the minimum for your CYA.

ETA: Jason types really fast :mrgreen:

JasonLion said:
Over a lot of time the CYA level will go down on it's own.

What is considered a lot of time? Is there a calculation like x points over 1 year? Here in my area of Florida it is not uncommon for 1 - 3 inches of rain during the week. At this point draining our pool 1/2 is not in the budget (water bill wise). With new rainfall this should increase the rate of that the CYA goes down? Am I correct in this thinking?

CYA goes down for a number of different reasons, each of which acts somewhat differently on different pools, so there is no way to give an exact number.

When water is splashed out, it takes CYA along with it. Likewise, if the pool overflows and water is lost, or if you have an automatic overflow drain, CYA will be lost. CYA is also lost if you backwash your filter (if you have a filter that needs backwashing). Also, CYA breaks down very slowly over time.

In a typical pool this means that CYA can fall from 50 to about 30 over the course of an entire swimming season. However, if you backwash very frequently, or have lots of kids splashing all the time, or huge amounts of rain causing water to overflow, CYA can go down much more quickly. Likewise, if your pool loses very little water for reasons other than evaporation, your CYA level might go down only a tiny amount.

your correct...if you CYA is currently 70 and over time 1/2 your pool water is replaced by rain, it would come down to around 30-40ppm...for now, just keep the FC levels up.

70 is quite usable. If you get a lot of direct sun, it's probably good.

Initially you'll need more bleach to get the FC up to the higher level, but daily consumption won't really be any different than if you had 40 ppm. My pool is doing fine despite being stuck with 140 ppm CYA.

You'll have to use the powder and drops to test instead of the color matching, that's all.

Richard320 said:
You'll have to use the powder and drops to test instead of the color matching, that's all.
I actually like that method better as I have a bear of a time reading the differences between the yellow and reds of the basic test. The chlorine is not that bad, but I need to have my wife look at the pH results. I am not color blind, but it making me wonder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.