Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure in filter varies??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure in filter varies??

I have new sand in my sand filter this year and everything has been going well, with an average filter pressure of around 10-12 psi. A couple of days ago I noticed that the pressure had risen to around 16-17 psi in a couple of days time. I figured it was just getting to "backwash" time. Today I noticed that the pressure was back down to about 11 psi. Why the variation? Does warm weather have anything to do with it? frankly, I haven't a clue. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure in filter varies??

Warm weather will only have a very small effect, nothing like that.

That is a little unusual. It could have been a partial blockage of one of the pipes, or maybe you changed a valve position, or maybe the gauge is going bad? It is difficult to say.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. I'll have to keep an eye on it. When I went to bed last night the pressure was 11 psi. That was using 1/2 skimmers (there are 2 skimmers) and 1/2 main drain. In other words, ball valve on inlet side of pump set to 1/2, using both skimmers and main drain to draw water. I noticed a couple days ago when I used just the main drain to draw water the pressure remained at 10 psi. The gauge is new. Maybe the laterals are clogged a little. A backwash probably couldn't hurt.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your fillter pressure will change as a function of what valves you may have open or closed. Closing suction valves will decrease filter pressure and opening will increase filter pressure. Visa versa for return valves.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater