Waiting for test kit!!!

May 17, 2010
Mooresville, NC
Well hello everyone.

While I'm waiting for my test kit to arrive in the mail I was wondering what I should be doing. I don't have the www hooked up at my house yet (just moved in) so I can't give you specs of my pool yet. I would like to think it's below 10k though. It's pretty small. I have finally got my filtration system up and running :whoot: and my water looks like a pretty pea soup color with a slight brownish tinge to it. I did get my water tested but I don't have the sheets on me at this time. All I can say is that my CYA is at 0. Is there anything you can recommend that I do until my test kit comes in? Should I buy some bleach? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already bought some chlorine tabs and some 73% super shock but I'm a little scared to use them yet. I do have a cheap test kit and strips that I found in the crawl space. My next step is to read that thread to figure out how to use them.

Josh

I can't see the bottom but I think for the most part it is clean. I try and clean the bottom at least once a day in case something settles. I have also scrubbed the walls and floor with the brush. Not sure if that helps right now but I figured why not.

imag0186o.jpg

The first day when I took the cover off. Been sittin for 2 years!!!

imag0198.jpg

What the pool looks like now!

imag0190x.jpg

My system.

The trichlor pucks will take too long to dissolve to do you much good. I like to save that for when I go on vacation, assuming the CYA is at the low end of the acceptable range at the time.

The 73% shock is probably 73% Cal-Hypo which will be a good source of chlorine if your CH is not too high.

Not sure I'd trust the old test kit you found as the reagents do go bad over a few years, probably faster when exposed to attic temps.

How about taking a fresh sample of pool water to a local pool store that does testing? Just tell them, in response to what they try to sell you, that you first need to see what is in the garage and if you have enough to begin, as that needs to be used up first. Be sure they actually test CYA and CH.

Around here we typically suggest to add the things you need separately so you can pinpoint the end result better, but of course that requires a good starting test. And the pool store test is not always good.

Were it me, I'd toss a small jug of bleach in every day until the test kit arrived. And I'd find out from the pool store about the pH, CYA and CH. TA can probably wait. Then I'd circulate and brush and make sure the filter pressure was OK, backwashing as needed.

Your Stabilizer (CYA) is surely zero. Put your jugs of clorox in after the sun goes off the pool so it will be most effective.

You can put Clorox in in the daytime after you get stabilizer established.

Ok here are my numbers I had on the 26th. Since then we did have a big storm come through.
FC=0.0 ppm
TC=4.7 ppm
CC=4.7 ppm
PH=6.6
Hardness=0 ppm
Alk=0 ppm
CYA= 5 ppm
Copper=.02 ppm
Iron=0 ppm

I added 3 large jugs of bleach last night. 558 oz to be exact.

I brushed and vacuumed the pool. There seems to be either sand or dirt on the bottom. When I brush it, you can definitely see it come up. I'm not sure if the vacuum head I have works good. I have a fiberglass pool and I'm using a vinyl liner vacuum head. Does that matter? If so what kind of head should I be using? Concrete? Either way it doesn't seem to be picking a lot of stuff up. Should I just drain it and start fresh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would disregard those test results....they are not right.

From this point, I think you can switch to the smaller jugs of Clorox, putting one in each evening until you get your kit and can post some meaningful numbers.

I can't help with the vacuum. If it's pulling in water, it should be picking up dirt.

As an aside, it's possible what looks like dirt/sand may be dead algae you are killing with the Clorox....especially if it's very wispy/powdery and difficult to pick up with the vacuum.

Thanks Dave will do. I think I'll vacuum for the next 3 days and see if it gets any better along with adding the bleach. I should have ordered the test kit last week. I just kept putting it off. :( I can't wait until I get it. Looking at your 925 lbs sand filter makes my 250 sound so small. WOW!

Looking at your 925 lbs sand filter makes my 250 sound so small. WOW!
I think it's probably a "Tim the Toolman" sorta' thing (same with power tools, etc.) but, during construction, I really bought into the "bigger filter is better" idea and I have to say I have not regretted it in the least.

It's really noticeable in the Spring when I have to vacuum a ton of sludge off the bottom.......that big filter really has the capacity to hold a lot of junk before it needs cleaning.

Conversely, I was not so smart on the pump. I couldn't resist buying a big pump and my full-rated 1.5HP pump consumes quite a bit of juice and probably does no better job than a 1HP would've done....even on my fairly large pool.

How does your water look now? Is your FC holding to within 1 ppm of loss overnight?

If the water is looking good and you are holding your FC overnight, then I would go ahead and get some CYA in there as your next step. Add enough to get you to 30 ppm for starters.

frustratedpoolmom said:

He gave an FC of 19 so maybe he left that off due to false highs. Now I am confused though. So you drained your pool and the test results you posted with the FC of 19 is on your now refilled pool, correct?

Yeah you are correct. I do have chlorine tabs in my chlorine tower (not sure what you call it). And my dad told me to add shock 73% hypochlorite to it last night. I added a 1lb bag. Probably shouldn't have done that. The PH looked to be the darkest pink so I'm guessing around 8.2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.