Swimming after shocking

Sep 2, 2009
Killen, AL
I had a small amount of algae and shocked last night. Assuming my FC holds this morning will it be safe to swim today? I've heard conflicting answers - a)less than 10ppm is safe or b)as long as overnight FC tests OK it's good to go regardless of FC level. Shocked to 16ppm, CC was 0.5, CYA-50 ph-7.5 TIA

Hey, cliffstone,

I realize you didn't ask, but if you had visible algae and elevated the FC just last night, there is virtually no way your FC will test the same this AM as it did last night.

Shocking is a process.....not a one-time dosage. Take a look at "How to Shock your Pool" and "How to do the overnight FC loss Test" both in Pool School. It'll help you clear up your algae permanently.

Personally, I would continue to swim in a pool that looked decent but may still have a little algae lurking as long as I had some chlorine in the pool so enjoy your weekend but I think you'll need to replenish the FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.