Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intelliflo vs 3050 here; install questions

1. Back To Top    #1

intelliflo vs 3050 here; install questions

My new 3050 arrived today. It talks of minimum 10" straight pipe from suction side before any 90's are added. ALso, the pump takes 2" pipe.
    I have 1.5" pipe buried under concrete connected directly to a 90 on a 20 year old leaking Marlow pump.

What's my best option for plumbing the new 3050 ? Moving everything ?

Should I reduce to 1.5" at the pump, or run min. 10" @ 2" first ,before reducing? (on suction side)

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1Bordeaux

16' x 36' Buster Crabbe in ground, 21k gallons, Installed in 1985. Marlow 3/4h.p. pump, 24" Cascade 240S sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intelliflo vs 3050 here; install questions

Ideally you should run 10" of 2" pipe straight into the pump, but in practice it will work with much less. It looks to me like you could easily get several inches of straight pipe just by pushing the pump a little further "down" from the point of view of looking the pictures.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: intelliflo vs 3050 here; install questions

I don't have much room to move it down; the right edge of the overall photo is the door frame to the pool house. My concern over the straight length is mostly due to the install manual saying less than that will cause premature failure of the pump.
    1Bordeaux

16' x 36' Buster Crabbe in ground, 21k gallons, Installed in 1985. Marlow 3/4h.p. pump, 24" Cascade 240S sand filter.