Helping a neighbor..now need your help!!

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
Trying to help my neighbor with his pool water. Using my Taylor 2006 kit here are his numbers:

FC = .5...adding bleach for him
PH = less than 7...its yellow guessing its 6.5-6.8...will add soda ash

Alk= this one is where I need help. I did the test twice and when I add the 2nd step of the 5 drops the water immediatley turns red. Does that mean its too high or too low? Is it a false reading due to low Chlorine and low pH?

Thanks for your input. I didnt test for CC ..forgot but will do again later today...thanks.

LS

Ls, how's everything in the Garden State?

I'm going to assume that your neighbor has been using trichlor pucks for quite some time :cry: Chem_geek had a post somewhere discussing the same thing and I hope I'm remembering it correctly :roll: -- Because of the low (~2.5) pH of the pucks, the pH of the water is well below 5 :!: (I think Richard said that the alk test reagent changes below 4.5 [or maybe 3.5] and goes to red instead of green - he named the reagent and what it becomes at low pH - but my memory isn't THAT good)

What you want to do is get a couple of boxes of Borax in the pool ASAP!!! Even the couple of boxes probably won't get you a pH reading (your kit only goes to 7.0), but is a good start - off the cuff and with no calculations, I think you'll need at least 6 boxes to get somewhere that will register on your tester, but go slow... add 2 boxes, wait a few hours (with the pump running), test again and add 1 box at a time until yo can get a reading of at least 7.2. You could probably add a couple of lbs of baking soda, odds are that the alk has been airated off, but without being able to accurately test it, I woldn't add too much until you can get a reading.

Possible bad news for neighbor: if there's a heater, the heat exchanger may have gotten trashed by the acidic water - if it's a liner pool, the liner has lost a few years of life from the acid, if it's a 'crete pool the finish may have deteriorated and become rough :shock: Please keep us abreast of the progress and we'll do as much as we can via computer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.