Liquid chlorine?

May 28, 2009
south jersey
Okay local pool store has liquid chlorine for 19.99 for 5 gallons of 16.5%.
walmart has 6% bleach 182 oz for 2.54
Now what is the better deal pool store or walmart

Made a mistake its 12.5 % !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Called the pool stores back to double check!!!!!!!

The 6% bleach is $1.79 per gallon.
The equivilent price of the 16.5% is $1.44 per gallon.
So the 16.5% is a better price.

You're the first person on here that I've seen reporting being able to buy 16.5% hypo.
They do make 16.5% but it's not normally sold retail at that strength.
Just be aware that it needs to be very fresh to retain that strength.

Yes there is two pool stores around me that have 12.5% for 19.99 and they fly out of the stores.. from what I have been told and researched that is the highest % you can buy for residential use.. They do make stronger but thats for city water mua etc...

Forgot to ask who do you know how fresh it is can you test it?

Another local pool store said ther liquid chlorine is 87% for 25.00 I find that hard to beleive any one else ever heard of that if that is correct amount that would be great . I can post the name and # of the pool store if anybody wants it

It is not possible for the chlorinating liquid to be 87% as this is extraordinarily unstable. They might mean 17%. You normally don't see chlorinating liquid much above 15% (never above 20% as far as I can tell) as it degrades much more rapidly at higher concentrations as shown in the table at the bottom of this link.

The highest concentration of Sodium Hypo normally produced right now is 16.5%.
There is a process for producing 26%+ stable enough to have a very good half life and it'll be available in the US next year. It wil also have very low salt content.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.