How dangerous is pool light without GFCI?

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
My pool was built in the late '70s and apparently the GFCI was not required then. I have to admit that electric power under water freaks me out a little bit, always has even before I owned a pool. I know that part of my uneasiness is irrational, but the GFCI thing is always on my mind. I wish I could just disable power to the light altogether, but there doesn't seem to be a separate breaker for it in my electrical box.

Any comments?

I think that an electrician should be able to install a GFCI fairly easily (but then I am not an electrician...) if you wanted to go that route.

My light has a pig tail that runs straight back from the light under the pool deck (about 8 feet) and then comes up to a junction box where it connects to the line going back to the circuit breaker. If you have a junction box, you should be able to kill the power to the light and then disconnect it there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.