Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Lots of tiny particles floating on top of pool...normal?

Lots of tiny particles floating on top of pool...normal?

Ok...I'm somewhat of a clean freak. But the teeny tiny floating particles on the top of my pool are really annoying me. I assume most of it is dust and pollen (there are some tufts of what look to be cotton mixed in, too, but I didn't think we had any cotton trees around here). I put knee highs on the skimmer baskets in hopes it would help. I could clean those dang socks every day b/c they are filled with icky gunk. I skim the pool every night and again every morning but the particles are mostly so tiny they just go right through the net.

Is this typical? Is it just something I need to learn to live with?
    22,000 gal IG Pool & Spa, Fountain and Spa Spillway, Penatair IC-40 SWCG, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Cartridge, Antigua Blue Wet-Edge

Re: Lots of tiny particles floating on top of pool...normal?

Probably dandelions.

And yes, stuff on the surface is normal. I find little clumps of superfine black stuff all the time. At first I thought it was ash from barbequing upwind, but I get it even on days I don't barbeque and the lid is on tight.

Try moving your return jets around, maybe improve circulation. That will keep the surface nice. Won't help much with the skimmer socks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

hawkeyes... I live in northern Ohio and you are describing a normal spring , early summer around here. We don"t realize how much **** is in the air till we get a pool. I have weed seeds, tree seeds, Charry blossoms, grass, bugs , frogs, and the list goes on and on. I live in the country and there is wild country all around me. It takes cleaning for me everyday to keep up. For me a solar cover and a skimmer sock help a lot but some still gets in. It does slow down in mid summer.
    I hope somebody responds to your question that lives in Texas that isn't so far away, but you are describing a normal process up north. I have so much stuff at this time of the year it might be making it to Texas.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Probably dandelions.

Try moving your return jets around, maybe improve circulation. That will keep the surface nice. Won't help much with the skimmer socks.
    You bring up a good point about the jets and I wondered the same thing. Should they all be pointing in the same direction to keep the water flowing the same way? Not sure if I just need to go twist a few in the opposite way and see if it helps or what.
    22,000 gal IG Pool & Spa, Fountain and Spa Spillway, Penatair IC-40 SWCG, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Cartridge, Antigua Blue Wet-Edge

Quote Originally Posted by ric
    hawkeyes... I live in northern Ohio and you are describing a normal spring , early summer around here. We don"t realize how much **** is in the air till we get a pool. I have weed seeds, tree seeds, Charry blossoms, grass, bugs , frogs, and the list goes on and on. I live in the country and there is wild country all around me. It takes cleaning for me everyday to keep up. For me a solar cover and a skimmer sock help a lot but some still gets in. It does slow down in mid summer.
    I hope somebody responds to your question that lives in Texas that isn't so far away, but you are describing a normal process up north. I have so much stuff at this time of the year it might be making it to Texas.
    I can't imagine what yours must be like being in the country---I'm in a large subdivision that has no construction going, no grass near the pool, very few trees and yet I have **** all over the surface. I guess I just need to get over it but I hate walking out there and seeing crud shimmering across the top of the water!

I have the same issue as you do with the net. I have a net that has larger holes and then I have a net that is used to get very fine particles. It is a black net and it will pick up almost anything except dust particles.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes
    Is it just something I need to learn to live with?
    Yup...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

I have the same problem, but I live out in the country. My house is kinda in the middle of a hay field. I find that if I run my pump on low, the skimmer doesn't do it's job too well. About an hour on high and that little stuff is gone.

They'll be cutting my hay as soon as RAIN isn't in the forecast That's always fun. Stuff flying everywhere. It's amazing what you find that is annoying once you've put a pool in I tend to pay more attention to the direction the wind is blowing too
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

Quote Originally Posted by orthofish
    I have the same problem, but I live out in the country. My house is kinda in the middle of a hay field. I find that if I run my pump on low, the skimmer doesn't do it's job too well. About an hour on high and that little stuff is gone.

They'll be cutting my hay as soon as RAIN isn't in the forecast That's always fun. Stuff flying everywhere. It's amazing what you find that is annoying once you've put a pool in I tend to pay more attention to the direction the wind is blowing too
    I have so much to learn....there are different speed I can run my pump at??? Seriously....I need someone to come teach me this stuff.

Most common pool pumps are single speed. There are variable speed and 2 speed pumps available and people like them for the potential energy savings.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!