FC holding, CC non-existent even with CYA

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
After the balancing of my water was completed a few weeks back, I've been able to hold free chlorine. I'm consistently between 2ppm and 3ppm and have been adding about 2 gallon per week.

I brought my stabilizer up to 60ppm two weeks ago when I added chlorine. At the time, I was showing 2ppm combined chlorine. I tested the water again a few days after this and it showed 0ppm. More chlorine, waited 48 hours, tested again and it's 0ppm.

I shock the pool, bringing total chlorine up to 10ppm. Check the next day and I have 5ppm free, 2ppm combined, 7ppm total.

Checked a few days later and I'm back to 3ppm free, 0ppm combined. Stabilizer is still at 60ppm.

Why can't I seem to hold combined chlorine, even with stabilizer staying consistent and free chlorine available?

Denis

You don't want to hold CC! That is the waste chlorine produced by oxidation. Keep your FC at the upper end of your recommended level, which should be 9 ppm for your pool. FC is the active chlorine that sanitizes your pool. Check your water daily and add enough chlorine to keep the level around 9. Don't let the FC drop below 5 ppm, that is the low end of your recommended level.

Denis, you've been around here long enough to know that pool stores don't take into account the effect CYA has on the FC level. :-D
You should always go by the chlorine/cya chart for your FC level regardless what the PS barks about!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.