Coudy water but CC is Zero - shock or not???

May 28, 2010
Hi, I have been reading tips on this site since last fall but finally set up an account to post. I am SO sick of the pool store running me in circles and giving bogus answers to my questions...add this, add that, more of this, try that, come back tomorrow, buy this, come back tomorrow, buy more of this...

Anyway, now that I got that off my chest - I have a vinyl pool with 7000 gallons and cartrige filter. If my CYA is 40 and CC is zero (FC = 5, TC = 5) but TC drops from 5 to 2 overnight, do I still need to shock to clear up the cloudy water? Or is this a case of just maintaining the FC and keep stirring and filtering the water? Basically I don't understand if raising FC to shock level of 15 or so is necessary when there is no CC.

Please help me clear up the milky water...

Thanks.

Yes, you need to shock. The CC can indicate things and it can also be zero and have stuff "going on".
An overnight drop + cloudy means shocking required...

Shock the pool until:
Your FC holds overnight and you lose 1ppm or less;
your CC is .5 or less;
your water is sparkly.

Can you post your other test results - just for kicks :)

Thanks, I will use the pool calculator to find the right amount of bleach to reach 15 FC! I just rinsed the gunk off the filter too, it's white again now. There is a green/grey color film at the skimmer water line that reapears a couple hours I clean it off. Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

I have to admit that I don't have the full blown test kit yet but what I have (two separate smaller kits) gives me the following:

FC = 4 to 5 now
TA = 110
pH = 7.2 (I'm currently aerating to raise it)
CYA = 40
CH = none (or to little to show up because the solution didn't change color to test for it)

I would leave pH alone. 7.2 is fine and it will likely rise on it's own anyway

CH of zero is very unusual. I'd have that checked although it's not a big deal in your vinyl pool....assuming you don't have too much.

Gyro_head said:
Thanks, I will use the pool calculator to find the right amount of bleach to reach 15 FC! I just rinsed the gunk off the filter too, it's white again now. There is a green/grey color film at the skimmer water line that reapears a couple hours I clean it off. Any other tips are greatly appreciated!
Just keep brushing it off for now. Hopefully when you are done shocking, this may not appear again.

I have to admit that I don't have the full blown test kit yet but what I have (two separate smaller kits) gives me the following:
You can order the FAS/DPD test separately from TFTestKits.Net to supplement your kits. This will allow you to test your FC up to 50ppm.

FC = 4 to 5 now
TA = 110
pH = 7.2 (I'm currently aerating to raise it)
CYA = 40
CH = none (or to little to show up because the solution didn't change color to test for it)

Have you tested your fill water for CH?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I just had the water checked at Leslies because I won't have a test kit in time to read the FC above 5. I was surprised to hear that they couldn't read above 5 either, actually not surprised! I was told FC was at 5, I don't believe it because i had just shocked the pool acording to the pool calculator. I was also told not to go above 5 even if I'm shocking the pool...really??? Anyway, I took the readings and went and bought some bleach to try and keep the progress of clearing the cloudy water up.

Is it ok to keep adding blue "SeaKlear Natural Clarifier" daily?

By the way, they did say my CH was 100 so if that's correct I assume I'm ok.

How many days is normal for the shocking process? The water is slowly getting better but seems to have made very little progress the last 24 hours. There is some dark stuff collecting on the bottom here and there and I've cleaned my filter a couple times. The filter is definitely catch stuff but I'm beginning to wonder if the water will ever be crystal clear??? Should I shut the pump off and let more stuff settle out for vacuuming?

Yes, the water will be crystal clear eventually. You need to give it time though.

Shocking can take anything from overnight to several weeks. Having reliable test results speeds things up, as does working on it several times a day. Nothing will help more than having your own top quality test kit. Having to guess at your FC level does not help.

Vacuuming is good. You could try turning off the pump for a few hours and then vacuuming, but maintaining a consistently high FC level is much more important so don't let it interfere with that.

I doubt that adding clarifier will hurt anything, but it won't help anything either. As a general rule it is better not to add chemicals you don't need to be adding. They might not hurt, but then again they might. Better not to risk any problems you don't need to have.

My TF100 has been ordered, probably be here Tuesday due to the holiday. I think this forum is is also as important as the kit! Some stuff did settle after several hours but not a lot, I agree that the clarifier is probably not helping anymore. Thanks for the advice, I will be patient and continue to work on it.

Is it possible the filter is just not catching the fine stuff? It is catching a lot of stuff but always runs at 2-3 psi, doesn't seam to ever go higher so could it just be passing the fine stuff? It's a 50 sq ft cartridge filter with a .7HP Jaccuzzi pump. When I run the motor on high for vacuuming the guage does increase so I think it is working.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
keep your chlorine level high, and run your pump 24/7 until pool clears. Its a pain in the neck to keep cleaning the filter i know, but the more the filter runs, the quicker you will be swimming.. KEEP AT IT! high chlorine, and filter running is your best bet at this time.

Not there yet but the process seems to be working. How long does it usually take for the FC to drop into normal range after the shocking process? And what level is unsafe to swim in if not quite down yet?

Thanks.

Gyro,

I have the same issue. I too have a vinyl pool. 5455 gallons. Was green when I opened it for the season. I have it "bluish" now, but it is clooooooouuuuuuuudddddddy! I have been adding bleach every day for about a week, but I haven't gotten it up to 15 yet. I will be investing in some more bleach and try to keep the level up till it all clears out.

Intex Easy Set: 5455 gallons
2500 gph cartridge pump with reusable filter (Rinz-n-Reuz) purchased from Diamondback Filters.

Found em on eBay and it has been about the best investment for the pool so far. $26 up front and no costs since. Compared to $7.50 per cartridge.

Anyway, that's been my issue this year. Nothing that can't be taken care of, obviously. Big props to this website and TPC. Triple B is the way to go.

one week, 20 filter cleanings and 25 1.42 gallons of bleach later and I finally have a "clearish" pool. I can see the bottom really well and the water just looks crisper than it has up to now. Thanks for the info above.

Mine looks good now too. I reached <1.0 drop in FC and I can only see some haze at night when the light is shining through the water. Not sure if I can get to "crystal" clear with a cartridge filter. If anyone knows how "crystal" the water can get especially at night with the light shining through it I would appreciate any comments.

Great forum!

Mine is crystal clear with light. I just kept adding 2 1.42 gallon jugs of bleach in the am and 2 in the pm till it got clear. Changed the filter 2-3 times a day on weekdays and 4-5 times on weekends. Now I am adding 1 jug in the morning and 1/2-1 jug at night. No green hair and no green water so far. The Diamondback rinsable and reusable filter has really paid for itself...last year AND ESPECIALLY this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.