Today's Numbers are... please advise

FC 3.5
CC .5
pH 7.6 or 7.8 was reading it inside under fluorescent lights
TA 80 or 90 looked away to wipe tip and when I looked back it was light pink (80). I added one more drop and it turned to a more fuscia color (90). I'm assuming I should go with 80 and not count the #9 drop?!?!?!

I just added 9 cups of bleach to get to 7ppms. My question is this - what do I do about TA and/or pH? Pool Calc says to add 1 cup of MA to reduce pH if it's 7.7, target 7.4. It also says to add 2 cups of baking soda to raise pH if TA is 80, target 90. Won't this also raise pH? What do I do first?? Is the rule of thumb to adjust pH first then tackle TA?

Another question... TA range is 70 - 90. I've read on TFP before to keep it at 100. So which is it 70, 80, 90 or 100? Help?

One more question... everytime I have questions regarding numbers do I start a new topic or can I just continue on this one?

thanks!

Keep all your testing/balancing questions in one thread. I'll merge this for you. :)

Your PH and TA are fine - if you have an SWG or a water feature you want it lower to control PH rise caused by Aeration. If you have stable ph, there is no reason to worry about the TA level.

If the PH is 7.6 it's fine, if it's 7.8 you could lower it to 7.4.

Borax raises PH
Baking Soda Raises TA. They both affect each other, but the impact isn't as dramatic.

We give ranges and you fall within the range. The only time to worry about it and adjust is if your numbers are out of range.

Not sure yet, LOL I assumed this was a new question on an old issue?
I usually send a PM to the poster when I merge threads... did you have another thread going? (I thought you did but we've been so busy this week my brain is a bit crowded...haha)

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 110 (tested Tuesday)
CYA 45

Last weekend I drain my water down past the skimmer to hardpipe and move ABG pump/filter. Here's my questions:
Before the drain my CYA was 60. I refilled on Tuesday. Should I return it back to 60 or is 45 okay?

Also, my return eye is not quite point up for aeration, it's more like rippling the water line. Would this cause my pH to continually increase? It keeps shooting up to 7.8 and I keep trying to keep it around 7.4. I don't want to keep lowering my TA.
Tuesday pH 7.8, TA 90 added MA
Friday pH 7.6, didn't test TA
Today pH 7.8, TA 80
I really like the ripple effect. Am I going to have to lower the return so that I don't see it or do I need to raise TA to help keep pH steady?

THANKS!

I would leave the CYA at 45. Later, If you decide your FC consumption is very high, you could raise it a little but I am reluctant to tell you to raise it to 60......I think you'll do fine right where you are.

What little rippling you are getting should have not too much effect. I would suggest raising TA up a little to 100-120 and see if that helps stabilize your pH.

Some pools (like mine) simply like a little acid from time to time to be happy.

I have made two assumptions.......your water is very clear and you do not have an SWG....is that correct?

Your assumptions are correct - very clear with no SWG. I was thinking of raising the TA too. Thanks for confirming that for me.

While I have you... If I wanted to add salt to the water w/out SWG, I would just use pool calc to tell me how much after I input my goal, right? What should my goal be? How often would I have to add more salt? Should I get a test kit/strip to determine this? I don't have the extra $ for a SWG right now. (Dave Ramsey says no.) I would love to try to add a little tho and see if I like it.

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Others will have to chime in about the salt. I am a bit of a minimalist in my pool and have no current incentive to add anything to it. Bleach (and some occaissional CYA and acid) is about all I've had to add for a couple of years....so far, so good.

What happened to your CYA going from 45 to 30?

Regardless, CYA will have little, if any, affect on your pH

Leave TA and CH alone

Keep your FC from 2-4ppm......3-5ppm if you return to CYA 45

I have a small leak on the return side. So I have had to add water here and there to keep it at the second screw on the skimmer (a lil OCD about that). We've also had some horrible thunderstorm/rains and I had to waste some water, again to get it back to that screw. LOL! I plan on fixing the leak but would love to do it without having to replace the whole skimmer. It's a small crack on the bottom where it connects to the PVC. So for now, drip....... drip............ drip..........

Here are some current pictures... cloudy as you can see. With numbers above what do you suggest?

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

A good salt level to target is around 2000. The best thing to do is to get some salt test strips and measure your starting salt level, and then use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much to add. You don't need to add more salt very often, usually only twice a year (spring and mid-season).

I think you may need to shock it because of the cloudiness - did you get a CC reading? Also do you know if your FC is holding overnight? That will confirm if the cloudiness is a pending green monster situation. After the water is clear and the FC is holding, raise your CYA to 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.