Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worms!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Worms!!!!

I'm in the process of shocking a green pool and noticed a few small red wiggly worms squirming around. Well... I really stirred up the water today and found hungreds, maybe thousands in the water... A quick I-net search leads me to believe that they are fly larvae.... Should I be concerned?? Keep shocking and filtering?????
    12X24 Oval
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Worms!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac
    I'm in the process of shocking a green pool and noticed a few small red wiggly worms squirming around. Well... I really stirred up the water today and found hungreds, maybe thousands in the water... A quick I-net search leads me to believe that they are fly larvae.... Should I be concerned?? Keep shocking and filtering?????
    Skim them out. You'll just use up Chlorine dissolving them. The more of anything you can get out with a net, the faster the shock will go.

In case they are fly larvae, figure out how to kill them. You don't need clouds of flies around your yard.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Worms!!!!

They are normal for a pool that has been stagnant and not clorinated. we had those and many more to contend with. Just get the CL levels up to shock levels, keep the water circulating and clean the filter, I don't know what the best way to clean them out of a sand filter is, but we had lots in our cartridge filter, we hosed them off, and once they dried out they died! That is also true for frog eggs, other larve and the big swimming criketfish(can't remember what they are called, but that's what they look like ). Just keep scooping, filtering, and get they CL levels up and they will be eridicated!!!
    1) 26,000 IG, vinyl, cartridge, Polaris Auto Clear Plus SWG, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Bought the frog pond in Dec'08, and learned a great deal turning it into the beatiful pool it is now!