Want To Run My Pool For FREE How Do I do It ?????

May 26, 2010
Sunny Florida
Hi, I have 2 pools that I want to be GREEN and run for free, yes FREE. I am going to switch over to salt water, with a salt cell soon on both. That way I don't have to buy any more Chlorine. But I don't want to run the cells off my main pumps, causing more power and loss to my wallet. I am thinking of buying a low volt cell system that is actually in the pool rather then connected to my main pump. I have solar heat on my roof for both. But my question is, can I get a pool pump to run off Solar? Right now I run both pool pumps at 4 hours for the summer, and 3 hours for the winter, “Yes In Sunny Florida”. My water is crystal clear, and I use a company called Pinch-A-Penny to manage my Chemicals once a week here in Florida. Can I use 2 or 3 car batteries and a Solar Panel to run a 24 volt pool pump for that long? Has anyone ever thought about this?

Solar isn't really very practical for pool pumps. There are systems that run several thousand dollars that can do it, but you need the panels, batteries and a special pump.

If you want to use car batteries, you need an even number of batteries to get 24V in any useful configuration. Charging them from the grid is fairly wasteful since battery charging is only about 50% efficient.

Solar heat wouldn't be very practical with such a system or with your short pump run-times.

Thanks John T for the info. I see what you are saying about the Solar Heat and the run time of the pump. What if I switch to something like this,
solar-hot-water-heater.jpg

Just keep in mind. There are no free lunches, or power. Everything costs something and running a pool pump on solar power costs a lot. It'll never last long enough to pay for itself. Adding a SWCG isn't free either, besides having to initially purchase the system you'll have to replace the cell every three to five years. The cost comparison is very close between a SWCG and liquid chlorine so you won't gain anything there. Maybe your definition of free is different than mine. :)

My small pool came with those big black solar heat rolls on my roof. They take up the whole roof. I have them turned off because they are leaking and cracking. so I have to replace them with something anyways. Thats why I was looking at the Glass Tube hot water. It has a chamber that stores the hot water and the water heats faster and hotter, so they say. I would think you would not have to run the main pump as long. I have an extra inlet in my pool for one of those suction pool cleaners I never use. I was thinking of tapping into that to try my Solar Pump idea. That way I would always have my main pump as a back up. I know nothing is free. But if I can run the solar pump for as long as the batteries last I could run my main pump less, maybe 2 hours a day?

Well, to demonstrate how obtuse I am, I never got guitar maker out of your user name until you explained it! :shock: :shock:

My smallish brain was interpreting the 'G' as silent and was mentally pronouncing it "tarm-ker"......you know, like ptarmigan, that arctic bird. I think I need a nap!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to give an idea for solar electric power.
1. Assuming you have an 1hp water pump, then its power is around 800Watts (assuming also power efficiency).
2. So for every hour your pump is working it will consume 800W of power.
3. So you need a converter to convert form 12V batteries the 110V or 240V power supply. For 800W per hour supply, you need at least a 1000W converter, and the batteries to deliver that energy. An 80Ah battery can only produce a max of 960W of power for only 1 hour. So make your calculations how many batteries you need for the hours you need it.
4. Then the most costly is solar energy cells. Ask your locals how many cells are needed to produce energy in order to FULLY charge your batteries in one day for the sun hours your area has.
5. Things i did not mention is control panel for protecting your batteries for over/under charge, installation cost, maintenance, space for solars........

If you can afford the above then go for it.

Good luck.

P.s The above is just a quick estimate of power. Do your own calculations.

Gtarmkr said:
You guys never heard of a 6 Finger Discount? No just tiring to be funny, I thought with a name like Guitar Maker people would say how can this guy play guitar with 6 fingers? Should I chance it?

LOL, I had to e-mail your avatar to our kids - we watch FRINGE and there's a five-fingered hand on there (actually, it would be four fingers and one thumb).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.