Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Chlorine and new plaster pool...question

Chlorine and new plaster pool...question

Hi All,
    Saturday our pool was plastered with a quartz aggregate (maui gem).
    According to the plaster co (pyramid concrete) we can begin to add chlorine starting day 3.
    Since we want to go in the pool this weekend, i think i'd like to do this tomorrow!
    I checked the pool calculator and for an FC increase from 0.1 to 4.0 it said to add 210oz of 6% bleach.
    Based on my reading, looks like it is best to dilute ~10:1 in water....so if i were to add 1/2 gallon of chlorine bleach to 4.5 g pool water in a 5g bucket and repeat this procedure until all 210oz were added would i be ok?
    Assume it is best to pour over the deepend, avoid sides, etc....i dont want to stain/interefere with the plaster.
    Does this sound ok or should i follow a different procedure?
    Many thanks!!!

Re: Chlorine and new plaster pool...question

You shouldn't need to dilute the chlorine if you pour slowly over a return flow in the deep end with the pump running. Then after you have finished adding the chlorine, lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool to ensure thorough mixing (assuming your plaster company says it's OK to lightly brush the pool surface).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"