CYA and Borax?

May 27, 2008
Cary, NC
ok, so after a long battle with some mustard algae to start off my season that i hopefully have won (fingers crossed), and finally getting the shock level to hold overnight, i am ready to to take the next step to make sure my pool is ready to go. here are my current levels:
FC 13.5 (coming down from shock level)
CC 0.5
TC 14.0
TA 80
PH 7.2
CH 130
CYA 30
Borates 0

i know i need to get my CYA up so i just put it in to get my level up to 70. in my exuberance to get everything in and have my pool ready, i also wanted to add Borax tonight for the first time. i've read the process so many times i know i can do it. my question is: are there any issues with adding Borax before the CYA has completely dissolved? i can still see some of CYA that has collected on the bottom and I know it takes a while for it to completely dissolve. i can wait until tomorrow if i have to, i am just so excited after 7 days of really hard work to get things where they are know.

on a side note, i want to extend my sincerest thanks to all of you on this site. without your help and guidance that you post, there is no way i could have gotten this mess cleared this quickly. i would still be the dummy that knew nothing about his pool and went to the pool store every weekend. the next round is on me! :cheers:

I'd suggest you go ahead and vacuum up the CYA on the liner. It isn't doing it any good. It will dissolve in the filter. Just don't backwash for several days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.