Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and Borax?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and Borax?

ok, so after a long battle with some mustard algae to start off my season that i hopefully have won (fingers crossed), and finally getting the shock level to hold overnight, i am ready to to take the next step to make sure my pool is ready to go. here are my current levels:
    FC 13.5 (coming down from shock level)
    CC 0.5
    TC 14.0
    TA 80
    PH 7.2
    CH 130
    CYA 30
    Borates 0

i know i need to get my CYA up so i just put it in to get my level up to 70. in my exuberance to get everything in and have my pool ready, i also wanted to add Borax tonight for the first time. i've read the process so many times i know i can do it. my question is: are there any issues with adding Borax before the CYA has completely dissolved? i can still see some of CYA that has collected on the bottom and I know it takes a while for it to completely dissolve. i can wait until tomorrow if i have to, i am just so excited after 7 days of really hard work to get things where they are know.

on a side note, i want to extend my sincerest thanks to all of you on this site. without your help and guidance that you post, there is no way i could have gotten this mess cleared this quickly. i would still be the dummy that knew nothing about his pool and went to the pool store every weekend. the next round is on me!
    25K gallon IG vinyl liner, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and Borax?

I'd suggest you go ahead and vacuum up the CYA on the liner. It isn't doing it any good. It will dissolve in the filter. Just don't backwash for several days.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, i forgot to add that due to a major brain freeze and a routine the last week of adding so much bleach, instead of putting the CYA in my skimmer, i put it in front of my returns.

so i should vacuum it up and then it's ok to add the borax?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, vacuum it up and then try not to backwash the filter for five to seven days. Once you have vacuumed, it is fine to add borax.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks john and jason! i vacuumed the cya last night and will add the borax today.