Chemical to keep bugs off water

May 21, 2010
I was told that they have some kind of chemical that you can put in your water to keep the bugs from landing in it. I dont really believe that is possible but who knows. Has anybody heard of it and does it work?

JasonLion said:
Adding borates to the water will stop some kinds of bugs, but not others, from hanging around the pool.

Now that you mention that, we've had mosquitoes out and biting for months. I haven't had to using any repellents, usually coils, around the spa when soaking, since I started using borax in my spa (at the maximum end of target). I don't use much borax in the pool, though, because of the dogs drinking from even when they are swimming. Squirrels and I'm sure nocturnal critters drink from my pool a lot too.

gg=alice

Maybe it is too early for me or bogus but a local pool place told me to use ProTeam Prevent algeaicide and it would also kill the bugs. Something about a layer on top of the water and when they come up for air it kills them. Not one swimming in pool but seen a few dead.

I remember last year we had these brown hoppy type bugs (backswimmers?). As soon as you'd skim them out of the water, they'd jump right back in. The solution we used was when skimming them out of the pool, to immediately drop them in a bucket of water that was sudsy with Dawn dish soap which I believe suffocates them and they did die.

JasonLion said:
Adding borates to the water will stop some kinds of bugs, but not others, from hanging around the pool.

Interesting thread. :-D

Borates do a couple of things. First off, 50 ppm of borates does lower the surface tension in the water. Bugs that depend on good surface tension to remain on the surface of the water will find it much more difficult to do so with borates in there. This usually means that they will sink to the bottom. Birds will also get waterlogged more easily as I have personally discovered. Borates are also toxic to many insects. Boric acid is a commonly found active ingredient in pesticides designed for roaches. It isn't a contact poison though (typically used as a bait) and typically only works if the insects consume it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes there is a product that does this. I use it every sprint and summer as we have a lot of flowering trees, bushes an plants.

It goes by several names One is Bug Off by Lo-Chlor. Another is called GLB Bug Out both pretty much the same thing. I have been told you can also use the algicide Skillit I am testing this one this season as it will eliminate the need to purchase a second chemical since I will change to skillit as a preventative algaecide this season.

All three products break the surface tension of the water which allow bugs like wasps hornets bees and sometimes flies etc to land on water.
By removing their water supply you will notice a dramatically reduced numbers in one season as they move off and change their nesting zones to a more hospitable area.... Some neighbor down the street.

Welcome to TFP, creativone!!!

I just wanted to point out that we do not recommend (or need) an preventative algaecide. The methods we teach are based on maintaining the correct level of chlorine in the pool. If you do this, there is no need for algaecides ... save your money!!!

I know this post is a couple months old but my pool just got finished being built about 3 weeks ago and I have an issue with yellow jackets that has gotten progressively worse. At first it was a few here and there but now its 2-3 every 5 minutes during the day and it has made swimming in the very expensive new pool not possible as we have already been stung. I have tried adding borax and muriatic acid to bring the borates up to 50ppm to hopefully decrease surface tension so they could not land but that has not worked, they can still land. I cannot locate the hives, I've tried they are not on my property and I can only follow them so far, it seems there maybe multiple hives. I've tried luring them with baits to a different location, fake hives, etc all to no avail. I really think my best shot is to make it so they don't like the water. The local pool store has recommended Skillit and the companies web site even says it helps get rid of bees and wasps. After reading here for a while I am very wary of the local pool store. I'm really desperate any advice on trying skillit or another solution that may work?

Well I've never used the borates method. But as I've mentioned above there ARE two specific products that are (NOT algaecides) both pretty much identical that are specifically for this purpose.
I know at least one of them can be ordered online. I think GLB (named after the chemical in it) may be available only to one store franchise. Paddock pools at least locally... but i may be wrong. And work great on the hornets and yellow jackets. But keeping toys and hoses out of the pool where bugs can rest on them to drink will help also be necessary when they are not in use.
Looking for the nests/hives doesn't really work too well because as long as they have a water source (your pool). They will fly several houses away or farther to get to their nests. And they can hide these things well. They fly around sporadically. Not like bees where they fly home frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.