any paticular time to run filter?

I just put one in a week ago, and was told to run it during the day time because "circulating" water would help keep the chlorine from burning off as much. Anybody know if there's any truth to that?

In my area when to run pump does not make difference on the electric bill.
I run the pump at afternoon when the sun is strong. I find out that
the blue bubble wrap solar cover trap heat at the surface level. Running the
pump at noon to afternoon can even out the heat spike. It makes the pool
about 2-3 degree warmer overall.

woodyp said:
I just put one in a week ago, and was told to run it during the day time because "circulating" water would help keep the chlorine from burning off as much. Anybody know if there's any truth to that?

that makes sense to me, but still dont know whats best.

or do you get more disinfection at night because its not being burnt off?

hey guys, i found these quotes, and answered my questions. im gonna set mine from 8.00am to 6.00pm

Well of course the best is to run 24/7, but you dopln't have to. Here in my area I tell people at least 10 hours a day and sometime during the day. You don't want standing water while the sun is beating down on the pool

The easiest way to determine running time is, whatever your avg. temperature is during the day it would be 1 hour for every 10 degree. For example if you are in a climate where the avg is 80-90, pump running time would be 8-9 hrs. And the best time to run the pump is during the day especially if you have some kind of inline chlorinator so the pool will be chlorinated in the heat of the day when chlorine reduction is at its peak.

Yes, running it during the day is much better. If your pool is not getting chlorine during the day your levels could drop dangerously low inviting an algae bloom. However, if you have an auto cover that is kept over the pool most of the time then running at night is acceptable.

Pump run time is kind of a personal thing. I run ours a total of 8 hours a day but it's broken into three segments.

I run it from 11am to 1pm, then from 4pm to 7pm and then depending on the time of year I either run it from 4am to 7am during the winter or from midnight to 3am during the summer. The reason for the change in times is that the most likely time for it to get below freezing in the winter is just before sunrise and I run it in the middle of the night during the summer to run the fountain for cooling because the water gets so darned hot here.

I've been experimenting with that myself, since I boughtthe house in October.

By setting the valves to suck water out of the round spa then refilling it and measuring the height change and the time, I calculated the flow. Roughly 4 hours ought to turn my water over once. So that's how long I run it. Except when I'm vacuuming or adding chemicals. Then it gets some extra time.

I had one of those lightbulb moments a week or so ago and realized that I'm usually doing that stuff after work. So I was running my filter a lot off schedule. So it makes more sense to run it in the evening. Another consideration is that Edison just replaced my meter with on of those digital smart meters. So I know it's just a matter of time before I get tiered rates. When that happens, more night running will be called for.

With that in mind, I decided that an hour or so when the pool is completely in the sun - midday, to keep the water circulated and even out the temperatures - and resume about the time I get home for another three hours. I went over to the local mom-n-pop Ace Hardware and bought another set of Intermatic timer pointers. They had 3 sets hanging on a peg.

So far, so good. I'm watcxhing the water clarity, and if it starts to drop as the water warms and we use it more, I'll up the filter time.

" I went over to the local mom-n-pop Ace Hardware and bought another set of Intermatic timer pointers. They had 3 sets hanging on a peg."

i dont understand, why would you need another set of timer pointers, is that how you program different times of the day (on/off on/off) and so on! i didnt realize you could do that!

erock14 said:
" I went over to the local mom-n-pop Ace Hardware and bought another set of Intermatic timer pointers. They had 3 sets hanging on a peg."

i dont understand, why would you need another set of timer pointers, is that how you program different times of the day (on/off on/off) and so on! i didnt realize you could do that!
If you have this style, yes, it's real easy.
mickey4paws-IntermaticTimer.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run mine at night when energy is cheapest, and an hour or two during the afternoon to circulate the heating water.

I've come to the realization the my SWG has never worked in 4 years, so the cloudy water I've battled since building the pool has probably been because of that. I have a new cell on the way (since we've replaced everything else) and will use bleach in the meantime. My pool hasn't been this clear since I filled it four years ago thanks to TFP.

For what it's worth, this will be the first year I am using a solar cover, and the blue tint should help with the chlorine loss during the day as well.

erock14 said:
i never heard of energy being cheaper at night, i always assumed it would be more considering thats when every body blasts their a/c,s

Energy is cheaper at night for three main reasons, atleast here in Florida.

1. At night, energy is more abundant. Businesses are closed, industry is closed. This means we're just down to residences, and thus less users on the power grid. The power source acknowledges this and charges less for the energy, as there is less demand.
2. At night, the temperatures drop quite a bit (usually 10-15 degrees) and thus air conditioners work less. Less A/C, less need for electricity.
3. At night, most people sleep. This means a lot of the daily use items (entertainment devices like TV's and computers) tend to be off.

Thus, overall there's less demand and the utils sell the energy for lower costs. It's not significantly lower, a few pennys per kw/H, but still lower none the less.

that makes perfect sense, do you think it would be noticeable on my electric bill?

also i was wondering if you would consume more power turning on and off since it takes alot more power to start a motor then it does to keep it going? i guess i answered my own questiion but just want to confirm it.

My pool is a 35000 to 37000 ltr.
With my calculations for the size of my pool and pump size, for every 4 pump hours it makes 3 times pool water circulation.
So i stick to 4 hours a day working pump times but spit to 4 time zones of an hour each during the day.
No need to run at night as there is no sun to help algae build up, but my country is on the hot zone, Cyprus. I also have the pump working some extra time when i choose to have my pool lights on ( so both lights and pump are on), bugs are attracted to light and they drown by trying to reach it, so as not have all the bugs flooding. That's not a good sight.

I believe it all depends on water pump and size of pool. The minimum recommended is 3 times pool water circulation assuming your filter is working perfect and your chemistry is where it should be. Just increase time in day time for those really hot days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.